spark plugs

Digger

Established Member
Is there such a thing of having too cold of a range on the spark plugs I beleive the plugs that came with my cobra where range 4 and know the performance shop put ngk br7 efs gapped at .035 and cars falls on its face all the time what plug should I be running in the ngk type? I have vortech blower, FMS shorty headers, magnaflow x pipe, cat back, and diablo sport chip??

wrenchhead46

Established Member
the heat range of the plug is its ability to keep within different temperatures. The colder the plug, the higher the temp.'s it can withstand without becoming fouled. Therefore, having a colder plug will not/should not cause any probs. Im not sure what NGK you should run, but I would go with 1 step colder than stock if any. How much boost are you running? What is your A/F ratio? If you are running lean, combustion temps will be higher. On Saturday im installing a wet/dry shot nitrous system and I am going 1 step colder with autolite 103s running a 175 shot. Everyone cross fingers for me!:thumbsup: Call vortech and ask them if they recommend a colder plug for your kit. Im pretty sure the basic kit requires no plug change.

Anyone else running a big nitrous shot? Id appreciate any info! Any comments on the plugs im running?

wrenchhead46

Established Member
now that i think about it, one problem that i have seen before with colder plugs involves the electrode or ground strap. It is usually much shorter on colder plugs. This is to reduce chances of detonation caused by the plugs turning into glow plugs under high temps. The problem with this is that most late model american cars use the longer ground strap to burn lean mixtures more efficiently. Perhaps this is your prob? I dont know if its enough to make yer stang fall flat on its face...but it may cause a less efficient burn.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread