Spark plugs

Snake_93

Established Member
It is time to give the cobra a little tune up. What kind of spark plugs would you guys reccomend with my current mods? Also, what kind of wires? Right now I have frpp 9mm wires on the car. Obviously a new cap and rotor.

What else needs to be done when tuning up the car?

How easy would it be for a mechanically challenged person such as myself to drain the brake resevoir and bleed the system and re-fill it and the power steering resevoir?

shetheri

Established Member
I have always used Autolites and love them. For a stock motor, I would use the 24's or 23's, depending on the amount of timing that you run. As the number goes down the heat range gets colder. The 23's would be good if you are running over 14 degrees base timing.

Lee

Established Member
I've been using Bosch platinums. I've not noticed anything different over the stock plugs.

Snake_93

Established Member
Can you guys help me out with the other questions? Basically I know how to change my oil and that is it...what else needs to be done to the car during a routine tune up?

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
I would change the fuel filter. Not too hard if you don't mind getting a little gas sprayed on you. You also might check the plug wires and change the cap and rotor.

Edit: Sorry I did not see that you said you were changing the cap and rotor above.

Last edited:

Black93Cobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Snake_93
Can you guys help me out with the other questions? Basically I know how to change my oil and that is it...what else needs to be done to the car during a routine tune up?

During a routine tune-up I would change the plugs, cap and rotor as you already indicated as well as the suggested fuel filter (located above the rear axle at the front of the gas tank). Unless you depressurized the fuel system I wouldn't change the fuel filter unless the car is cold, the gas will splash onto the exhaust and coudl cause a fire. I would also check your air filter and replace with a K&N if you don't already have one. If you have access to a timing light I would check your time and bump it up to the 12 - 14 degree range. Just be sure you disconnect the spout connector before checking your timing. Might want to inspect your serpentine belt as well and replace if necessary. Just a few suggestions, hope that helps! :)

93_Snake

93 Cobra worshipper
Established Member
My Cobra could use a bump in the timing. What is the spout connector. Where is that located?

Black93Cobra

Established Member
The spout connector is on the main wiring harness to the TFI module mounted on the distributor. The TFI module is mounted on the outside of the distributor in the front and has the wiring harness plugged into it. The spout connector is a small square gray device on the drivers side about 3 to 4 inches behind where the wiring harness connects to the TFI module. All you have to do is pull it out of it's receptacle and you are ready to adjust your timing. It will come off in your hand, just don't lose it. Hope that helps!!

Lee

Established Member
You'll be way off in setting your timing if you do that. You're setting "base timing", with no timing advance from the ECU. The ECU then adds to your set "base timing", thus you've advanced your timing over the stock base setting.

BlownStroker

Established Member
Keep the Ford 9mm wires and run Motorcraft plugs or you can use Autolite 25's gapped at like .050 bump the timing to like 12 degrees (91 octane)a must. Change the Fuel filter, cap & rotor,ect.... It wouldn't hurt to have a Fuel system cleaning done using BG injection service. Ford has the feeder for the fuel rails and it cleans the upper intake of petrolium varnish and gunk as well.

Users who are viewing this thread