sparkplug blowout lawsuit

00rsvtl

Established Member
has anybody here been contacted about a lawsuit against ford for the blown plugs?i started reciving emails from a lawyer in california about a lawsuit over the blown plugs.he says he got my name off of one of these forums and several hundred other people.

ChrisNelson

* Screw the N.A.B. !! *
Established Member
There was something on NLOC a few months back. I'd be curious what they are doing. Mine blew out once and was warranteed by Ford. If it happens again I'll be on my own.

00rsvtl

Established Member
The first e-mail you received from me was part of a mailing to approximately 350 Ford owners who suffered a spark plug blowout. Many of those who responded asked for a fuller explanation of the case and where it is going.
The action was filed by my client, Charlie Gulihur, in Los Angeles on June 7, 2004 (the case no. is BC31608). It was filed on behalf of Charlie, individually, and on behalf of all other Ford owners – a class action. Thus, for the present, it includes you and all of your rights are protected (however, see below).

Based upon the information provided by many owners, and research and investigation I conducted, I am satisfied that the case has a great deal of merit. There is no doubt in my mind that the blowouts were the result of a design/engineering defect. Equally importantly, and perhaps even more damning, is the fact that once Ford became aware of the problem (early on) they could have largely prevented future blowouts by requiring that the plugs be inspected and tightened, if necessary, periodically. The manuals only specified service at 100,000 miles.

The suit seeks to recover the cost of repairs for those who had the problem, require Ford to notify owners who have not yet suffered a blowout, issue a recall, and extend warranties.

Although the suit is filed as a class action, it may not go forward as one until the court allows it to, or “certifies the class.” Thus, although the case is now filed on behalf of all Ford owners (a national class), it is likely (though not certain) that the court will restrict it to a California class only, and anyone outside California would not be included or protected.

To guard against this you could file an action yourself in your own state (individually and on behalf of a class of the owners in your state) or you could join the present case as a named plaintiff and as the representative of owners in your state. If either of these possibilities interests you, you should contact me or any lawyer to discuss it. I would not be able to represent you if you filed in your own state (because I am not admitted to practice there), but if you wished to join the existing case here in California I could represent you and would be happy to do so. You would not be responsible for attorney’s fees and costs. You would need to sign an attorney-client agreement that I will be able to provide for you.

In any event, because you are in the class at present, I am your attorney and communications we exchange are subject to the attorney-client privilege and are confidential. Please feel free to call or write should you have information that would be helpful in prosecuting the case.

Thank you for the information and help you have already provided.

Sincerely,
Don

P.S. You will receive status reports from time to time on the case. If you do not wish to receive further information, just tell me and you will be removed from the list.

D O N A L D W . R I C K E T T S
Attorney at Law
28855 Kenroy Ave.
Santa Clarita, CA 91387-1721
Phone (661) 250-3091
Fax: (661) 250-1767
E-Mail: [email protected]

00rsvtl

Established Member
above is the last email i recived.my plug blew and for fixed it and put a warranty on it.it cost me $500.00.the factory warranty was long gone at the time it blew.i know some pople were denied.i am curious to see were this will go.

bda1855

Member of the Boosted16
Established Member
yeah but what about those that have the crappy heads that havnt spit a plug? we should be covered to replace the heads....

yeah in our dreams!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread