Sparkplug blowout

Stalker

Established Member
Yeah, you guessed it. I had a plug blowout on me, taking the threads with it. Now I am looking at two repair options. A helicoil or a new head. Anyone have any opinions on a helicoil in the 03 engine? Am I just asking for trouble later on? Any help would be appreciated.

Wayneo

Established Member
Sorry can't answer your question, but how much boost are you running to blow out a sparkplug, or do these things just happen on our motors?

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I'd try to Heli Coil it first. Was the plug not tightened down good? Ive heard of this happening many times on mod motors, 2v and 4v. Ive seen it once as well on a 2000 GT

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
ive done heli coil before on a car and it lasted real good till the day i sold it. the car wasnt pushing 400 hp or anything but it held for about 2 years till i sold it. It may still be holding to this day.

when or if you do it make sure you use grease when your taping the threads so you catch all the little shavings.

your talking like 800 bones for a new head vs the 5 dollar heli coil.

hope i helped.
if you got any questions just drop me a pm.
J

actually its not called heli coil. its actually a sleeve type style insert thats made for spark plugs that i used. check your local parts store, they should be able to help you out.

or , just an idea. put some ac delco or whatever brand plugs that came stock back in the car and take it to a different dealler for warannty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread