Speakers to replace stock shaker

Paul1138

Established Member
Hey guys -

Have any of you replaced the stock speakers on the Shaker? I ordered the standard version and not the pro. Once the car arrives, if I'm not content with the sound, I'm looking for options. I love Focal speakers and HK's but don't know much about 'em.

Thanks

phil123

Established Member
I am pretty picky about sound but everyone hears things differently. I don't care for the sound of Focals because to me they are bright and the highs and upper mids are over emphasized so what I like may not apply to you. The front doors each have three speakers, a tweeter, mid, and so called 8" sub. There is one full range on each side in the back and since I have the pro a sub in the trunk. I have started by just replacing the tweeters and mids in the front with the ARC black series. I selected these because of their sound and their high efficiency meaning I didn't have to add an external amp. These speakers are a little pricey but have improved the sound considerably. Much better than kickers and other mass market crap. I have the fade set so everything goes to the front and will not be doing anything to the rear speakers. At a later date I will add an amp, new subs, and a processor but don't want to drop the coin right now, the Shelby did enough damage to the bank account. Since you don't have a sub in the trunk you may be a little bass shy meaning this wouldn't be a complete solution for you.

Tytus2012

Established Member
I to am going to replace my regular shaker system. There is a local audio shop that does really excellent work on high end cars at decent prices. I am putting in a components by Phoenix gold their to series. Along with a 5 channel digital amp and a 12 inch ti series sub in the back in a custom box in the back right side like the shaker pro. The rears I'm replacing with just their r3 2 way speakers. The 8 inch doors will be disconnect since the sub will be more than enough bass. It will cost me like 1700 installed.

SteelTownStang

Established Member
I went w/Kickers for both my '08 and '12. While there are better speakers, they vastly improved the overall acoustics w/no fitment issues.

Habbro

Noob
Established Member
I'm taking mine to the local shop Monday and get jl audio stuff to replace it. They are going to go over the options with me. I am going to leave the electronics package alone just upgrade everything else around it (i think). I will post what I do when finished. Also, Jl makes a sub for the trunk which essentially is the shaker pro sub in size but far better. They also have an 8" mid that looks like it would replace the door "subs.". If anyone else has advice I am curious as well.

Tytus2012

Established Member
I like jl audio but I feel as you are paying more the name these days. I also looked at the jl custom box with their sub in the back but my local shop can make a custom box with a better sub for like $200 less. Phoenix gold has come back with some great products since they were bought out again and run under new management. Don't get me wrong jl audio is quality stuff but when you go to your local shop listen to speakers they have and compare the sound with price. I guess since I have been to my shop and heard phoenix gold and seen their price I was really impressed and they have really good customer service and will back their product. This is just my opinion and whatever way you decide to go will be better than stock that's for sure.

peteypab2133

Established Member
I would love to do this too. But my doors both rattle when I turn my non shaker system up. Actually a little disappointed for being a $6x,xxx car.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

phil123

Established Member
The JL sub is under $300 smaller and better than the shaker sub. Not possible to make a quality sub $200 cheaper than that.

Habbro

Noob
Established Member
I will look at Phoenix. But jl has not let me down in other vehicles including marine (mine are in offshore saltwater and in truck). I am open minded and appreciate the additional input.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
I am pretty picky about sound but everyone hears things differently. I don't care for the sound of Focals because to me they are bright and the highs and upper mids are over emphasized so what I like may not apply to you. The front doors each have three speakers, a tweeter, mid, and so called 8" sub. There is one full range on each side in the back and since I have the pro a sub in the trunk. I have started by just replacing the tweeters and mids in the front with the ARC black series. I selected these because of their sound and their high efficiency meaning I didn't have to add an external amp. These speakers are a little pricey but have improved the sound considerably. Much better than kickers and other mass market crap. I have the fade set so everything goes to the front and will not be doing anything to the rear speakers. At a later date I will add an amp, new subs, and a processor but don't want to drop the coin right now, the Shelby did enough damage to the bank account. Since you don't have a sub in the trunk you may be a little bass shy meaning this wouldn't be a complete solution for you.

Why would you chose the Pro system if you were going to change everything anyway?

Tytus2012

Established Member
I will look at Phoenix. But jl has not let me down in other vehicles including marine (mine are in offshore saltwater and in truck). I am open minded and appreciate the additional input.

When you look at them hear the r3 or TI series on speakers and subs. TI series are the higher up levels.

The JL sub is under $300 smaller and better than the shaker sub. Not possible to make a quality sub $200 cheaper than that.

The jl audio stealth box for our cars is 699. I'm sure u could get it for 500 on ebay . Not sure where you found 300 and if you did it would be their entry level sub yes better than Shaker pro but not the best sounding sub in my opinion. On another note I'm getting a
Custom box to fit the manufactures specs of the speaker and will look factory at the same time. By no means do I think jl audio is bad just that you pay more money for the name these days.

Paul1138

Established Member

I've actually never heard the focals in a car (JM Labs makes the home speakers using Focal drivers in St. Etienne France (sp) If the car speakers are bright and over emphasized. then I'm in your boat. I've never heard of the Arc speakers, but I'm going to try and find a dealer and check them out, so thank you for the recommendation! I'm going to try and do everything at once, so If i like Arc, what would i get in the rears? Something like the JL Audio other posters have mentioned?

Thanks guys for all your help on this.

Ray Lucca

Established Member
I have the Shaker 500 in my 09 Vert. I installed Polk speakers in the front and rear and the system plays much louder, cleaner and has more mid-bass. $ 250.00 installed, out the door, well worth it. Might add an Amp later... I looked at the Sub in the trunk of a new '13 Shelby Pro 1000 yesterday at a show.. It takes up a lot of space, the Kicker Trunk Sub is much more compact.

phil123

Established Member
Paul when you say the rears are you talking the sub in the trunk or the rear seat speakers. The purpose of rear seat speakers is of course for people sitting there and also for fill. If you have 70 or 80 percent of the sound coming from the front speakers and 20 or 30 from the rear it will raise the sound stage for the front passengers. My thought is with the high seats there is not much of the rear sound that is going to make its way to the front and I don't have passengers in back enough to worry about them so I just shut them down. If you want rear speakers just about any manufacturer you select for the fronts will have coax's that will fit in the rear. You also could replace the front 8" subs but at that point you probably will definitely need an amp. If you want a sub in back I hear the JL stealth box is good. You can also have a custom box made but I would be very careful as there is a lot more to making a sub sound good than building a box that fits and throwing a speaker in it. You would want someone that is really experienced and possibly has won awards. You can tell a lot by what the installer asks before he makes a suggestion. Does he look to see exactly where and how the OEM speakers are positioned and mounted? Does he figure out how many ohms they are being drive at? Or does he just say I have some speakers i can put in there and you probably will need an amp. That will tell you a lot.

Paul1138

Established Member
Hi Phil -

I actually found an Arc dealer about 20 miles from me, who seems to have a reputation for great car audio builds. Once my car arrives (whenever that is), I'm going to go visit the dealer to check out my options. I appreciate you introducing me to Arc and hope they sound fantastic!

phil123

Established Member
Paul:

They do on mine. I have to admit one of the best sounds on the car is rolling the drivers window down and hearing the engine. Don't use satellite radio to evaluate the speakers. The sound quality is really bad. A memory stick in AAC with a bit rate of 320 is much better or cd's are better yet but not convenient. I haven't been able to use apple lossless format can get the player to recognize it. Anybody had luck with that?

finsrin

Established Member
My speaker experience: Bought a new 1997 Thunderbird with premium sound system.
Installed a speaker set from Crutchfield and fidelity was way better.
Probably change out GT500 speakers too.

Paul1138

Established Member
Paul:

They do on mine. I have to admit one of the best sounds on the car is rolling the drivers window down and hearing the engine. Don't use satellite radio to evaluate the speakers. The sound quality is really bad. A memory stick in AAC with a bit rate of 320 is much better or cd's are better yet but not convenient. I haven't been able to use apple lossless format can get the player to recognize it. Anybody had luck with that?

Hey Phil -

Though i know nothing about car audio, I'm well versed in home stereo and home theater. I work in the film industry and deal with 5.1, 6.1 and 7.1 mixes for our films as well as near-field mixes and the such. Got to spend some time at Skywalker Ranch a while back, overseeing a mix for one of our films. Instead of AAC, I usually use WAV files or convert FLAC files to lossless apple in my car. I purchased one of the classic ipods with a large HD at 160gb, I believe, so i have lots of breathing room. My home theater is a 7.1 B&W full range system with an HSU sub, which really pushes some air. The pre is a Marantz AR7005 and the 7 channel amp is Arcam and the bluray/SACD is an Oppo BD95. I love it! I'll keep you posted on my decision for the Arc Speakers/sub/Amp set up in the GT500. Thanks again!

Speed_Addict

Established Member
I will be having audio done next week hopefully. If I can't drive my car yet, then I'll have someone else drive it in for me. A local shop will be building/installing a sub box with 2 x 10" Boston subs driven by an Alpine digital amp. I am having the factory door speakers removed. Using Rockford T3 6.5" components/crossover. The 6.5" driver in the 8" sub port and the tweeters above in the coax port. Those will be driven by a new amp also using an AudioControl LC6i line-out converter. The doors rattle so we'll have to use some mat to firm things up there. Will probably drop the rears speakers completely but don't know for sure until I can here it.

Users who are viewing this thread