Speaking of traction control...

f4sfed

Established Member
Usually (at least I'm pretty sure) traction control systems apply the rear brakes AND THEN resort to killing cylinders when trying to keep the tires from spinning.

Does anyone know if our traction control operates this way? Or am I just on the gas too hard, forcing it start killing cylinders right away? :)

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
When my green tire on the dash lights up it feels like my car is killing cylinders, for sure! I don't like it.

a94cobra

Established Member
I read about the traction control on another web site(can't remember right now). And there is several modes of how the thing works. First it will apply the brakes(I assume just the rears) and if that doesn't bring the car into control it steps up to level 2 and starts killing cylinders. If you are going straight and spin the tires it will not kick in if both tires are spinning equally. It measures the wheel spin of each tire.

Through my experience with the system, I have mine on 98% of the time, I find all this to be very accurate. If I break loose just a hair it just applys the brakes. But If I am really on it, it will shut me down. I have had a few times where I took off, mostly in the rain, where it never kicked in and spun the tires, but I was going perfectly straight throughout the the spin(very rare).

f4sfed

Established Member
Originally posted by a94cobra
I read about the traction control on another web site(can't remember right now). And there is several modes of how the thing works. First it will apply the brakes(I assume just the rears) and if that doesn't bring the car into control it steps up to level 2 and starts killing cylinders. If you are going straight and spin the tires it will not kick in if both tires are spinning equally. It measures the wheel spin of each tire.

Through my experience with the system, I have mine on 98% of the time, I find all this to be very accurate. If I break loose just a hair it just applys the brakes. But If I am really on it, it will shut me down. I have had a few times where I took off, mostly in the rain, where it never kicked in and spun the tires, but I was going perfectly straight throughout the the spin(very rare).

Interesting... thanks for the info!

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Ok, if I am sliding down the highway sideways this thing will lock up my brakes and kill the engine?!:cryying:

Is that how it works? What am I supposed to do without any throttle or brakes? Tug back and forth on the steering wheel?

Its not like I doubt what you are saying. I just question the logic of a system like this. What was Ford thinking?!

I'm not sure this is anything more than an "anti burn-out" device placed on the car as a concession to the insurance agencies.

Where is the ABS defeat switch? I want that one too.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Jon,
Why would you want an ABS defeat switch? They are one of the best things that ever happened to American cars. If they are operating properly, they can do wonders.
Dana

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Jon

Where is the ABS defeat switch? I want that one too.

I believe it's just a fuse that will turn it off. But I'd never turn it off. It's a good system that can out perform any driver in an emergency braking manuver. Now if you are open tracknig or something and you can out brake the system, I could see why you'd want it off.

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Originally posted by Dana
Jon,
Why would you want an ABS defeat switch? They are one of the best things that ever happened to American cars. If they are operating properly, they can do wonders.
Dana

Yes, ABS can do wonders. But only advantagous in a minority of panic situations. This is why insurance agencies are now reluctant to offer discounts to drivers of ABS equipped cars. The NHTSA statistics compiled over the last ten years seem to suggest that the number of injuries avoided by ABS is out weighed by the balance of accidents due to a "false sense of security" held by most drivers (of ABS-equipped cars).

Problem is, ABS was marketed as a cure-all for collision avoidance by those manufacturers seeking to recover the costs of equiping ABS. The truth is that ABS is only effective when the driver has been properly trained on the correct application of restored steering control. Heck, we can't even get most people to use their turn signals. Steering control? Unlikely. Give 'em all multiple airbags and a prayer. (my sarcism)

In short, ABS is not a passive technology but people drive with a greater sense of (unfounded) confidence and daring because of it.

My two cents (from the land of dry roads)

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Airbags get my vote as the best safety improvement in the last 20 years. They do save lives.

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by Jon
Airbags get my vote as the best safety improvement in the last 20 years. They do save lives.
MIne too.:beer:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Jon,
I agree with everything you said about accidents and people, but that still doesn't explain why anyone would want to disconnect the ABS system. I would much rather have a vehicle that HAS ABS than one that does not. I've driven cars and semi's that have ABS and would much rather it was there when needed.
The fact that there may be more accidents because people have a false sense of security with the ABS is not the fault of the ABS system.
Dana

Jon

Relax, have a homebrew!
Established Member
Sure, if you understand the characteristics of the system then you can tailor your driving habits to the greatest advantage of the ABS design. Sounds like you have a good grasp of ABS behavior and you'll probably do better than most drivers.

I just think I can do better without it, I prefer the ability to lock-up my brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread