SPEC 1 clutch and Aluminium FLywheel chatter

mr-proper

Established Member
hi
i just had a new clutch spec stage 1 , SPEC aluminum flywheel, TOB ,Pilot bearing and clutch fork installed, and on my way home the car chatters really bad when iam in 1st gear and leaving a stoplight, it shake the complete car!i can hear a loud chattering noise in neutral and my clutch pedal feels twice as hard as stock! even when i shift in reverse i it chatters bad, i have to get up to 3000rpm just to get the car moving with little bit of chatter! i cannot drive the car like this! is this normal??

P.S ido have a fiore firewall adjuster and it is already 2inch turned out and i got about 2inchs of pedal floop clutch engages about halfway

Last edited:

markw351

Established Member
I have the same clutch with stock flywheel in my mach 1 swapped car and it chatters pretty bad. I will say it gets better after the break in, but it's not going to be like stock. If you do a search on here you will find plenty of chatter/vibration issues from spec clutches. I have a spec stage 3+ in my 03 cobra and it's actually alot better than the stage 1. Its why i bought the satge 1 thinking it would be even better than the stage 3+..

mr-proper

Established Member
so how do you take off from 1st gear, without making people think ,you wanna race them:??:

Last edited:

markw351

Established Member
F'it just race them all i guess or try a different clutch set up. Mine dosen't seem as bad as what you describe, but i would give it about 500 mies to break it and see how it is then. Mine got quite a bit better.

mr-proper

Established Member
well i have to rev up to 2200-2500rpm just to get moving, if iam lower then that i can see my shaker moving 1-2inchs:eek: and the car shakes with it !!

markw351

Established Member
I have a vibration issue with mine too. It vibrates from about 1000-2000 rpm. Clutch in, clutch out, in gear, out of gear. I am ready to pull it and go with a completely different clutch and its only got about 1000 miles on it. I'll don't think i'll ever buy another spec.

mr-proper

Established Member
well i went back to shop and they told me ,that is normal with that kind of clutch(spec stage 1 - i thought it would be stock replacement and it would drive like stock, but it dont) iam gonna give it 500miles ..

Last edited:

JeromeMach1

Established Member
I ran a spec stage III in my 96 Cobra and had the same problem. then I put a stage II in my Mach1 and had the same problem. I swapped it out for a Dual Friction Centerforce clutch, never looked back. Stock pedal effort and no chatter at all.

I suggest you get rid of that spec clutch. Yes, it will cost you money. the alternative is to keep driving the car like that. The chattering and vibrations are not good for the driveline.

Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread