Spec 3 vs CF DF - Back to Back Comparison...

Bob Cosby

Established Member
Short story - there is no comparison (at least for a daily driver), the Centerforce DF is far superior.

I wanted to upgrade the input shaft (26 spline, I'm hard on input shafts) in my KB 04 Cobra, and of course, that meant a new clutch. I ordered a Spec Stage 3, had the input shaft installed, I installed the clutch, and then took it for a ride. The pedal feel was close to stock, and the clutch held fine. But it chattered on take-off (from a stop), and nothing I could do would help it.

Two weeks later I took the Spec out and installed a CF DF. The difference was night and day. Like the Spec, it seems to hold fine (then again, the stock clutch did fine on the dyno and around town - haven't been to the track yet, which will be a real test with the KB). Pedal feel is noticeably better than stock, in that it is lighter. The best part is that it is just as smooth as stock. No chatter, no fuss. I love it, and would highly recommend this clutch to anyone looking to upgrade.

Grey03

Established Member
Thanks Bob! That's just what I like to hear.
I am currently waiting for my CF DF clutch and flywheel to arrive, I already have my Liberty 26 spline.

YoungCobra

aka BigBlackCobra
Established Member
My Spec chattered like crazy when new. Once I broke it in, I couldn't ask for more. No more chatter, lighter pedal and firmer shifts.

I have the Spec 3i and 26 spline with a steel Spec flywheel.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Hey Bob, where did you get your clutch from and for how much? I'm in dire need of one.

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
I just put in the Spec3. I don't like it because of the chattering, and the fact that you can't slip it when you launch. If I have to do it again, I will be going centerforce for sure.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
give it some time, Jason

I agree with YoungCobra

I broke mine in properly and chattering stopped after I got around 600 miles on it

it grabs hard enough to bark the tires on a 4th gear powershift (stock pulley) :burnout:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread