Spec clutches?????????

stang99

I have a nearly new Spec aluminum flywheel and Spec Stage 2 clutch on my garage floor along with a damanged pressure plate and a locked solid Spec TOB. Word is that it is all junk, but Spec's answer was that they only ship perfect stuff so it is something I did. I have a stock Cobra clutch now and it works perfectly. The jury may be out on the Spec stuff but, IMHO, get something else.

Originally posted by Bad03Cobra
Has anyone had or heard of any problems with these Spec clutches?????

thanks in advance.

DesertLightning

Established Member
This is the first time I have ever heard anything bad about a Spec. Slide over to Corral.net and see what they have to say. This has been hashed many times over there.

Blu50Stang

Happiness is being blown
Established Member
The only negative thing I've ever heard(until just now) is that they are too grabby when they are new.

03blackCOBRA

Civil PE
Established Member
ZERO problems with my SPEC II. It has less pedal pressure than stock. It is more grabby than stock, but once used to it its great.

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Id say mines hanging on pretty good :shrug: I still have a little squeal but i can totally live with that. Its a very light pedle feel for sure :D

Sorry but Tetge has had his issues with them but i dont think i will be in his same situation...well i hope not.

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
I like it

Originally posted by sonic03snake
1200 HARD MILES ON MY STAGE 3 SPEC, NO PROBLEMS.

almost 2000, works great!.....not hard for the first 700 break-in, but since then I've been thrashing on it most of the time and it just grabs like a mofo :burnout:

I still chatter sometimes in bumper-to-bumper traffic or parking if I try to move with minimal throttle...it may take awhile to get used to but a SPEC3 (6 puck) is very streetable, IMO

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Re: I like it

Originally posted by JB
almost 2000, works great!.....not hard for the first 700 break-in, but since then I've been thrashing on it most of the time and it just grabs like a mofo :burnout:

I still chatter sometimes in bumper-to-bumper traffic or parking if I try to move with minimal throttle...it may take awhile to get used to but a SPEC3 (6 puck) is very streetable, IMO

Mine was good for about 5000miles and about 100 passes at the track but then it gave up the ghost (SPEC STAGE3XL). Per SPEC's recommendation, I sent it back to them for analysis. I got the results today and the word is "material failure". They determined that it was installed and broken in perfectly but that it wore prematurely. They said that this is NOT normal and they have agreed to replace it for FREE!

Good bunch of guys.

MJ

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Re: Re: I like it

Originally posted by mjchip
Mine was good for about 5000miles and about 100 passes at the track but then it gave up the ghost (SPEC STAGE3XL). Per SPEC's recommendation, I sent it back to them for analysis. I got the results today and the word is "material failure". They determined that it was installed and broken in perfectly but that it wore prematurely. They said that this is NOT normal and they have agreed to replace it for FREE!

Good bunch of guys.

MJ

wow. that is great news.

03SonicSnake

Member of 500/500 Club
Established Member
That's some good customer service for ya there!! I know a few choice companys that need a good kick in the ass to get them going.

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: I like it

Originally posted by bassin247
wow. that is great news.

Yes, very good news since I just spent a ton of money on other "stuff".

They also agreed to send me a replacement clutch with a 26-spline hub to mate up with my new viper-spec input shaft!

In addition, I'm going to be one of the first people to get their newly-designed, EVEN LIGHTER 11" pressure plate. I should have it next week!

MJ

coleman

Established Member
mjchip, keep us posted!!!

i've had my spec3 for many thousand miles on my car, daily driver, with no unforseen problems -- just a little clatter. i'll be buying another one down the road...

cobrastrike

Established Member
I've gone through a couple of clutches with my 01 cobra
when my stock clutch went out i replaced it with the dual friction centerforce worst thing i ever did broke it in the right way and the first time i got on her hard kaabooom went the clutch,those little steel slides on the pressure plate shot every direction and cracked my bellhousing,after replacing my bellhousing and getting a spec stage III have not have any problems to this day i would recommend spec clutches to anyone that is going to mod. there cobra:thumbsup:

NBMss346

Established Member
I have a SPEC III disk and PP in my room alons with the SPEEC billet steel flywheel. I don't know about mustangs, but they "recommend" (see: we won't cover it if it ****s up) NOT resurfacing the stock flywheel and just buying one of theirs. I haven't installed it yet, I'm waiting on a trans rebuild, but from what I've heard, 95% of what I've read from various forums is positive.

stang99

I have pasted in David Norton's, at Spec's, last reply to me about my clutch problems with the stage 2:

<<That's all fine and dandy, but nothing leaves here with uneven fingers.
Probably a piece of that broken bearing retainer in between the fingers and
cover, huh? That's the only way the fingers can become uneven. It will
likely have to be taken apart to remove the fragments.>>

We were discussing the noises and vibrations from the clutch. It turns out that the TOB guide tube on my new Tremec broke in just a few thousand miles with the Spec installed. We will never know if it was a bad clutch, since Spec was not the least bit interested in exploring the possibility that there may have been some defect in the assembly. Two seperate mechanics felt that there was a problem with the Spec unit from the minute it came off the lift installed. It's a long story but it was torn down again with just 4 miles on the install to inspect everything. There were no pieces of debries left in there. These are expert mechanics, no shade tree hacks.
Your mileage may, and apparently, does vary with Spec. But, I was not impressed with their aftermarket attitude. And, I bought everything directly from Spec at full price.

Users who are viewing this thread