SPEC or Centerforce dual friction clutch

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
what are you looking for in a clutch, and how much hp do you have?

I tried both. For street driving with only 450rwhp, I like the DF. For the track, I think the spec will hold more power, but has more of an on/off feel to it, so it is tough to slip it at the track. It would be a great clutch with slicks.

If my DF fails me, I think I will switch to the centerforce DFX. It's similar to the Spec3, but doesn't require a break in, and will probably hold a little more power.

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
CFDF is a great clutch if you stay 500-525 rwhp or less, very low pedal pressure, no chattering or harsh behavior ever. Do not expect it to last over that power level for long.

SPEC3 is a chattering hateful beast of a clutch, truly hated it. Similar power limits.

What power level are you?

Antex

quantum entanglement
Established Member
If you're doing any track time hopefully you won't be disapointed with the CFDF! I sure was! I've got the spec 3, get an ocasional chatter in 1st gear & plenty of track runs... :beer:

The CFDF is a somewhat smoother clutch in traffic but that's about it...

Last edited:

cobravenom39

Ballz to the wallz
Established Member
I have a Spec 3i, and I love it. It's a beast and was hard to get used to it at first, but if you can get used to it you can drive a cement truck!

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
My CFDF clutch is holding up well with a 2.76 upper only. If I decide to install my KB I'll have to switch out the clutch soon afterwards! I plan on trying the MMR RBT700 (holds up to 700hp) clutch since it has claims of "0" chatter and perfect for everyday driveability. Those MMR guys look quite promising...

fireman02

Established Member
I know 2 guys, one with an 99 cobra and one with an 03 Cobra, and both of them had there SPEC stage 3, pressure plate and fly wheel fuse together at the drag strip.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Whats the difference between the Centerforce DF and DFX?

I was running a DF in my blown 98GT with ~350rwhp and I LOVED the clutch, then one day on the street.. power shifted 1-2, then tried 2-3 and the clutch pedal went straight to the floor.

Mark Luton (now owns MMR) took it out and the disc just sort of 'seperated'... really odd :( MFGR error, but still..

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
03 DSG Snake said:
Whats the difference between the Centerforce DF and DFX?

...snip....

DF is a circular disc, DFX is a 6-puck.
DF works to about 500rwhp, DFX works to +600

bender460

Established Member
The Spec3 isn't for everyone (street manners). It has served me very well at the track and is more than livable on the street.

Users who are viewing this thread