Spec Stage 3

AnarchyVA

Established Member
My TOB is failing. I figured its a good opportunity to replace the RMS, the TOB and upgrade the clutch at the same time.

I've heard mixed reviews on this Spec Stage 3 clutch. Some LOVE it. Some complain that it it is a PITA on the street. I take that with a grain of salt because many say similar things about stiff suspension. But I love stiff suspension on the streets. It doesn't bother me.

Does anyone have this clutch? How does it perform on the streets?

slseals

Established Member
My TOB is failing. I figured its a good opportunity to replace the RMS, the TOB and upgrade the clutch at the same time.

I've heard mixed reviews on this Spec Stage 3 clutch. Some LOVE it. Some complain that it it is a PITA on the street. I take that with a grain of salt because many say similar things about stiff suspension. But I love stiff suspension on the streets. It doesn't bother me.

Does anyone have this clutch? How does it perform on the streets?
Yeah, worst mistake I ever made. Chatters most of the time and squeals like a banshee the rest of the time. There's no easing into it. If you just nail it and drop the clutch fast it will grab like nothing else but sucks, sucks, sucks for a daily driver in Atlanta traffic. That's my two cents anyway.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Spec 3+ here. It's a good clutch for the money, but it does chatter quite a bit. If I had to do it all over again I would and will get a McLeod twin disc rxt clutch. I will run the clutch until next year probably.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Mine chatters when I’m in reverse and not feeding in a lot of throttle.

As others have mentioned, both the Stage 2 and 3 that I’ve had have been grabby. It’s either on or off and it’s hard to get the RPM just right for smooth shifts in normal driving.

All that being said, it’s been a reliable, noise free clutch at a great value. The light pedal option is also a huge improvement over stock.

partzman

Established Member
Spec 3+ for me. Love it on the track and for hard driving. I don't daily my car anymore so I cant speak for much else than that. It is definitely a real on-off type of clutch but I got used to it real quick for the street cruising that I do.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Had a spec 3 6puck, it’s a stiff pedal for sure! But I’m a 150lbs soaking wet and I drove it for 2 years until it decided I no longer needed an input shaft and twisted it right off. Mine had no chatter problems. The clutch is now in my buddy’s d1 mach still holding it’s ground.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
Today I have a Spec Stage 3 (not 3+) due to deliver to me today.

I have to replace my TOB and decided I’d upgrade the clutch while I’m at it. My car is a daily driver. It doesn’t go to the track. But I do like to have safe fun on the way to or from work. My driving is mostly highway but certainly gets some stoplights.

I hear some people say this clutch sucks on the streets. Then just about as many others say that the clutch isn’t so bad and grabs really well.

I’m undecided on whether or not I want to install this when replacing the TOB or just keep the stock clutch. Which seems to be working fine so far.

Thoughts??

beastmar

Established Member
What kind of power are you pushing to the wheels? I have the Spec 2+ and I am putting down 500rwhp and it holds just fine. I take my car to the local track every now and then as well.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
It’s not to hard to yank the trans out. Save for a twin disc and 26spline input shaft.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I'm guessing your making about 475whp. I have a spec 3 in my car with 526whp and had 479 with it as well.

The spec 3 will grab much better and you'll have to get used to it, but it will be fine. I did get a little chatter sometimes in reverse.

If you rarely drag the car the stage 2 would be fine and 2+ would probably be best. When I bought my spec 3 the + models had not been released. I also used a factory ford throw out bearing and not the spec bearing. Lots of problems with the spec bearing back in the day.

AnarchyVA

Established Member
I bought the Ford Racing TOB, a Lethal Performance retainer sleeve, the heavier duty Ford Racing pilot bearing, a replacement pivot stud, and a Mcleod fork. I tried to get the better parts so hopefully I don’t have to tear this down again.

I’m just worried about the clutch. I typically like the louder exhausts, grabbier brakes, and the stiffer suspensions. So hopefully, as long as it doesn’t make too much noise, I will actually prefer it.

03SVT Ski

Established Member
Spec3+ here, been in car for 3 seasons now. Very little track outings mainly wknd driving. Clutch does have some chatter when easing from a stop in first all gears after that no issues. I have never had slipping issue, no clutch smell. I have recently surpassed the rated HP/Tq of this clutch so now its a matter of time, and I will upgrade to a Mcloud RXT at that time.

Users who are viewing this thread