Speed of Sound Pod/ Fuel/ Boost Guage Install

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALA G8R

Banned
Why remote the Fuel Pressure sending unit to the firewall? Are there any downsides to mounting the sending unit directly to the fuel rail?

Thanks for the great write up.

BLK_03

Established Member
ALA G8R said:
Why remote the Fuel Pressure sending unit to the firewall? Are there any downsides to mounting the sending unit directly to the fuel rail?

Thanks for the great write up.

The remote mount is to isolate the sending unit from vibration. Mounting it directly to the fuel rail will work, but you are setting the unit up for premature failure IMO.

That sending unit is not cheap to replace and is part of the reason the fuel pressure guage is so pricey.

ALA G8R

Banned
Thanks for the heads up. I am installing a Autometer 5763 in a couple of weeks. Your guidance got me to read the instructions and they agree with what you are saying. So I went ahead and ordered the braided line and adapters from Summit. You saved me from a surprise when I do the install.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

Matt-'00GT

Established Member
Did the install last night, no problem! Thanks!

Now, on a stock '04 cobra where should my fuel pressure be when in boost and also when cruising at 80MPH in 6th?

BLK_03

Established Member
Just cruising around with no/minimal pressure on the accelerator, my guage bumps between 29 and 32 psi.

Not sure about f.p. @ STOCK boost...

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
I talked to a few shops today, and they said they have never had any problems with installing the sender on the fuel rail itself. I couln't find the proper hose to relocate it and am pressed for time.

BLK_03

Established Member
Don't know what to tell ya... :shrug:

Install it directly on the fuel rail then. Then order the parts you need if you want to. But I'm tellin' ya, install on the fuel rail @ your own risk. That piece is NOT cheap.

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Have you had one fail on you? I mean there are alot of other sensors mounted on the motor that don't seam to go bad from vibration. I have done the install on other cars too and haven't had a problem.

ALA G8R

Banned
I've seen 03 Cobras with the FP sensor directly on the rail. The Autometer electric FP gauge instructions specifically state to remote mount the sensor for high HP, high reving engines to eliminate the possibility of sensor failure. I remoted mine per this thread and the instructions.

If you decide to thread the sensor to the fuel rail, you will need Autometer adapter 3280. The instructions that came with my gauge incorrectly stated that I needed adapter 3275. I called Autometer Tech Support and got the correct information.

BLK_03

Established Member
Have I had one fail? No. Guess why...

I know others have mounted directly on the fuel rail. I'm NOT saying they are wrong. You can do that too. But don't you think there may be a reason Autometer recommends it in their instructions :read: ? Just makes sense to me man, do what you want.

alanw6

The gauge pod guy
Established Member
Just a little food for thought since this discussion has turned to the fuel psi install:

The instructions do recommend isolating the fuel pressure sending unit in order to reduce risk of damage from vibration. This is good advice, if anything, because an ounce of prevention...

BUT, my own belief is the trouble they are trying to avoid comes from racing engines, not street cars. A drag car with a big cam and a ton of horsepower will produce some violent energy, definitely enough to damage sensitive electronics. A Cobra motor, even with a lot of power, is still relatively docile when it comes to vibrations.

That said, we've done a lot of fuel psi gauge installs for people with our pods. Done them both ways. Not one failure using the 3280 adaptor. If it happens, I'll let you guys know for sure. Since I drive a fox body personally, my gauge sending unit is attached to the gauge port on my Aeromotive AFPR. Seems like a safe place, but it was on the rail before I added the pressure regulator for several months.

My opinion is that these Cobras are relatively safe to mount the sender to the rail. Isolating it is just another precautionary step that can only be seen as helpful. Not essential, but definitely helpful.

Just my $.02,

Alan

NHRACobra

Cobra guy
Established Member
I am about to do this same install. It looks like the Autometer gauges are brighter than the dash lights. Anyway of installing a dimmer or resister to keep them equal?

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
Gp

:rolling: great post I got my pod yesterday will install today must run to AZ for misc stuff nO doubt allen pods are a remarkable good product . Allen thanks for the fast service and delivery.

PS Thanks to Rick and Lynn from amazon racing I am fortunate to have them in my nighborhood, AMAZON RACING providing the best in customer service and quality parts make you feel like family !!

BLK_03

Established Member
Wings65288 said:
what would you do if you were to install a AIR/FUEL gauge?

Do a search for an air/fuel guage install... :shrug:

I've never installed one, and from my understanding, they are not worth the light show they produce...

hmwave

Established Member
BLK_03 said:
Do a search for an air/fuel guage install... :shrug:

I've never installed one, and from my understanding, they are not worth the light show they produce...

Unless you use a calibrated wideband to drive the gauge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread