Speedcal to Dakota Digital

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
So I am back in the game again. Just had the cobra repainted so I am putting things back together. I had 4.30s installed incorrectly years ago and basically just stopped driving it for the last 6 years. My good friend got the rear fixed after figuring out the axle tube was bent and the gears were shimmed wrong and not torqued down.

Anyways, that was fixed but the speedometer stopped working. I've had a battery draw issue now since the I had a Speedcal installed but now it appears it is dead. I ordered a Dakota Digital SGI 100BT and all I could do was get it to power up but not transmit the new signal to the speedo no matter how I wired it. Now it appears I can't even get it to power up even though the multimeter says its getting power so something went wrong. So now I may be getting an Abbott next (this is getting expensive). I really liked the idea of the DD unit since it seemed I could make adjustments via my phone and fine tune it. I reached out to Dakota Digital and we will see if they get back to me with any ideas. Tonight I basically hot wired the old VSS wires so that I could see if I could get a signal and I did. I ordered a new VSS and I may install it just to rule that out. I did notice the way it was wired in by the original mechanic it appears to be to a wire that is constantly hot. I have had a bad draw for a while now and I think that may have been my problem.

So if anyone has some ideas on testing the Dakota Digital unit or Speedcal to see if they are really dead let me know. What I want to know is does anyone have a wiring diagram to a hot in the console that is only powered on with the ignition?

shurur

Established Member
If you are powering anything with the cigarette lighter, you will run the battery down. The 94-99 cigarette lighter is constant on.

I doubt anything you install must have constant power to work.

You need to connect the unit to switched power or make the cigarette lighter switched by using the convertible top fuse or something else. Also one or both of the radio power lines are switched.

Also, get a Haynes-Chilton manual at the very least. Yellow/Black looks to be switched power to the radio.

Lots of shops seem to not know that the cigarette lighter is not switched.

That's my .02.

Last edited:

shurur

Established Member
Just saw your post about your speedometer not working.

Post #8

I would still fix that speedcal power to a switched source.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
I have a manual somewhere I just have to find it but I’ll take a look at the radio wires for power.

The power it’s sourcing from has a weird blue bulb attached to the wiring as well. Bothe the ground and hot are off this little wire loom.

Last edited:

Mark99GT

Established Member
Use a fuse tap on a key-on circuit in the interior fuse panel (radio, #11 I think I used) and run a wire under the dash. It's much easier than splicing. Like a 15 minute thing. Crimp the terminals, don't solder. I did this with the Abbott for my 4.30s, works flawlessly.

Users who are viewing this thread