Speedcal/VSS issues... need some help

Team Dave

I broke something
Established Member
I ran about 14 searches to try to answer my question here, but to no avail.. :(

I recently installed a SpeedCal in my Cobra to correct the speedo for my 4.30's, but I've been having issues. When I finished wiring everything up, the speedo rear way too low. It would go up and down normally (wouldn't stick or anything), but it would read I was going 14-20 mph when I was actually going 40-50 mph. I tried every single variation of swapping the wires to see if I had accidentally swapped a ground for a positive somewhere in the line, but every time I'd swap a wire, the speedo wouldn't even work period.. That's telling me that my lines for the VSS are in the right order. After that, I figured it was my cigarette lighter power wire being a d-bag, so I hard wired the SpeedCal directly to my battery, only to get the same result. So now now that is out of the question as well.

I'm fairly positive I have it wired correctly.. I followed the directions to a T.. 2 times now. Checked all the wiring... nothing is hitting, all connections are solid , internal Speedcal #'s are correct for my application... I've tried everything I can think of really, and it still has an issue. Yesterday I pulled out the harness that plugs the factory VSS wires into the Speedcal's harness, and I hard wired them together, thinking maybe THEN I'd get a better connection. Now when I roll out from a stop, the speedo rises to about 10 mph at about the rate it should be going, and then drops back down to reading too low, just like it did before.

Now IMO, this could be one of two things.. Either I don't have the numbers right inside the Speedcal (I checked em countless times), or my VSS is bad. With the inside #'s in the Speedcal, I'm assuming up = 1 and down = 0?

I'm stumped... and I'm beginning to now wonder if I have a faulty speedcal and I've just wasted hours and hours trying to get it right. :??:

Any help would be effing awesome. All I want is a god damn accurate speedo!!

allgo90

Established Member
try calling DM to make sure you are using the right dip switch settings...they offer great customer service.

Users who are viewing this thread