Speeding (Paced???) Advice Please!

KingKobra

Established Member
An unmarked cop got mad, because I moved around him sharply (but legally) to get access to a new open turn lane and then began to chase after me after I passed him.

After I made my turn and headed off he was farther back from me, but then caught up after about 1/8th of a mile and me over.

He said, "You were going 70."

I told him, "I was NOT going 70." "Can I see the radar?"

He said, "I paced you."

I said, "No way I was going 70"

I don't believe this guy. I mean, I was going faster than 45 for brief moments, but fourth gear coasting reduces my speed quickly.

But I don't know what to do? If I get found guilty, I'd be screwed.

Any advice? Would a lawyer be a good idea for a "pacing" ticket or what? He didn't sound too confident. I think he was just mad at me for how I passed him. In fact, he gave me another ticket for 'following too closely".

Any advice would be great. As for me, it's the right lane for the next year at least.

-A

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
You can beat it..Pacing is complete horseshit. Check this out

"A. Pacing

This is simple. The officer drives behind you and matches your speed with his. This method usually works only at night. During the day, a reasonably alert driver can spot the police vehicle. Cops have tried to pace me without luck. If you get a ticket for pacing, it means that you weren't paying attention to what was going on behind you. Sometimes, you can also catch officers lying about determining your speed if you tell the judge that you clearly saw the officer behind you. This is why it is important to use your eyes when you drive. In court, ask questions related to how long you were being paced, as well as his speedometer calibration records.

link -

http://homepage.mac.com/jpalmeda/tickets/index.html#2

03outlaw

Established Member
They are right!!

not proud of it, but I have had 32 tickets as of which 3 were so called "PACING". All three were tossed! Two by the same judge!!

32 Tickets! Man that is a lot of mod parts sent to lawyers!:loser: :bash:

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat
Originally posted by Frederick Brown
Kingkobra, i am a retired New York State Trooper, with 25 years, it sounds to me as your attitude and mouth got you those tickets Fred

Thats not fair your making an ASSumption.
Some cops just wake up on the wrong side of the bed, and Maybe just Maybe some cops abuse their power,(NO, that never happens, lol) Sounds like he didn't like getting passed, cops are shitty about that, they think that just because they are in a cop car they should control the flow of trafic, if a cop is going slower than the flow of traffic I always pass him, even if I am 5 or 10 over, you can't argue with the flow of traffic deffense.

Established Member
Kingkobra, i am a retired New York State Trooper, with 25 years, it sounds to me as your attitude and mouth got you those tickets Fred

To me, that sounds like a confession that police don't utilize their responsibility with anthing but their own interests in mind.

I've had 8 tickets in the past (ancient history now). Each time I was courteous, one was for 10mph over right after the highway changed from 55 to 45. Treating them with respect does nothing but make the ticket transaction a smooth process for them.

My 2nd to last ticket was at 1am. I was in cruise control at the posted speed limit, when a car out of nowhere started tailgating me in a road with 2 lanes. I applied my brakes gently, and even tried to change lanes - only to get this monkey still on my case. I downshifted and pulled away from him - then he turned on the lights. He said he believed I was trying to run from him; I told him I was trying to avoid an accident with a tailgater.

Take it to court, make him work for the donut money. If they were really interested in slowing speeders down, they'd drive around in posted cars - not hide in the bushes with unmarked units.
:bash:

Last edited:

03outlaw

Established Member
True story!

I was 16 and my dad let me cruise his re-stored 70 Mach-1 (it was sweet). My younger brother was with me we were cruising the speed limit (45) through town (4 lanes) and here we came up to a city cop he was also traveling roughly 43-45 (PACING) my brother says you wont pass him I said why not. Well I did and of course he pulled me over. All he ask was why did I pass him.

My point is Cops (most not all) think everyone is afraid to drive when around them and some cops cannot believe it when we think they have more important things to do then bother some one going a few miles an hour over the speed limit!:shrug:

KingKobra

Established Member
Well, that's some hopeful advice from you guys. Thanks.

Honestly, when he gave me the tickets, I was like, "Are you trying to punish me?" and he's like, "No that's not my job"....

I was nice about what I was saying, but I was honest with my words.

I agree that he was most likely mad that I pulled out from behind him so violently, but I knew what lane I wanted and I went there...

I guess my biggest worry is that I won't get off on it. But, if you guys honestly think that pacing is not very enforceable, I'm feeling a less distressed.

Thanks,

A

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
im not shure about the laws where you are, but in Ga, an officer must pace you for a certain number of miles (im thinking 3). i have been pulled over countless times because of the car i drive. its not right, but its life.

03outlaw

Established Member
It is not but

If you want to insure you do not get points on your record give a lawyer a 100 $ to take care of it. My lawyer advised me to go to court on my own on some and those were some of them.

I am 26 now and going on three yrs with no tickets:beer

By the way I was not some rich punk that never obeyed the law I just had a need for speed!!:lol:

jonas

Established Member

This is an example of a bad cop. attitude and mouth should have little to do with whether or not you get a ticket. It should be whether or not you broke the law. I admint alot of laws are so vauge its up to a cop to how to write it up or whether or not he/she should inpound a car.

I had a cop threaten to impound my car because I had a cai that didnt have a carb e.o. sticker. All I did was ask whether he was asking or telling me to pop my hood when his attitude flipped on me. I have a right to not incriminate myself. I'm not popping no hood for a cop unless he on record orders me to.

Well he looked all over on my KB blown cobra and only noticed the cai. He said that he was cutting me a break by not impounding my car. I asked him if he felt ok as a human being for impounding a car for an air filter. He told me to buzz off (exact words) before he changes him mind.

Oh and the ticket wasnt a fix it ticket, it was an illegal smog modification. $2500 misdimenor! all because I asked some hotshot cop if he was asking or telling me to pop my hood.

and for the record, I wasnt radared or paced. He was on opposing traffic and flipped a bitch and pulled me over. gave me a 70 mph ticket as well.

Im doing a trial by declaration the cai has a carb e.o. number and have since stuck it under my hood. There is no way in hell I was doing 70 in a 35, not even 50!!! I may have been going a tad over 35 but within the flow of traffic.

Basically I got railed because I questioned a cop's orders and from what it sounds like, your the same type of cop.

And a bit more info, the cop said he was part of a special task force to catch illegal mods and was specially trained. he didnt notcie the KB or the longtubes :) This guy was looking at every screw for an excuse to take my car and couldn't see anything. He did everything but get on his hands and knees and check for cats.
I have no front plates and clears and he didnt notice em either. He was sooo wrapped up under the hood trying to find a reason to impound my car that he friggen failed at being a good cop.

I think it takes someone who puts personal feelings and opinions aside and does his job to the book to be a good cop

MyT-Mouse

Established Member
Fight the ticket.

Oh and be respectful to the officers that pull you over, it waon't get you out of a ticket but it will keep you from being targeted by the guy again. Think of it like this, if you mouth off to a cop b/c he gives you a ticket he's going to tell all his buddies to look out for your car and pull you over for any infraction possible. Believe me I had it happen to me. I could'nt even leave my complex without having a cop behind me. :shrug:

KingKobra

Established Member
Oh, this is even funnier... the location of the infraction says "2/10's of a mile east of franconia road"

So, after both of us turned right onto franconia road, in 2/10's of mile, I was going 70??? I think that's pushing it. Maybe I should hit the track and see what a quarter mile would be!

Last edited:

fastsnake99

top down, chrome spinnin'
Established Member
im in the same position.. i am goin to court on the 15th for it ill tell ya how it goes! it was at night but im a very alert driver and he said he was pacing which i know he wasnt then when i asked him how to go about going to court he said dont bother because he will just tell the judge i was going faster than he wrote down.. pissed me off!

itproca

Established Member
Agreed. Go to Court. Our car tends to attract a lot of attention and envey. The comment concerning police thinking they should not be passed. This is horses***. If he is doing below the speed limit and you pass him doing the speed limit there is noting he/she can do. This doesn't mean he/she will not pull you over. I have been in this situation several times. I guess at my age (36)I'm like f*** it, give me the ticket and lets go to court. Laws are necessary but will not change humans. Egos, attitudes, feeling superior over others are common traits for individuals in power positions. Always be respectful to the officers that pull you over I agree, they have a very hard job to do. But, that does not mean get rail roaded by an ego tripping officer pissed your not under his personal control.

MY 03 L

Established Member
Originally posted by KingKobra
Oh, this is even funnier... the location of the infraction says "2/10's of a mile east of franconia road"

So, after both of us turned right onto franconia road, in 2/10's of mile, I was going 70??? I think that's pushing it. Maybe I should hit the track and see what a quarter mile would be!

and the cop car was pacing you at 70mph in 2/10's of a mile.. i think NOT... what a freaking idiot cop that is... :shrug:

KingKobra

Established Member
Yea, I'm starting to wonder about this ticket. I do still worry... I mean, 25MPH over in Virginia is considered reckless driving and I could potentially lose my license. But, in two-tenths of a mile, he was able to catch up to me (around a turn) and pace me to determine my average speed? Gosh, it's almost a joke.

Keep in mind, I WAS speeding. No doubt, but not 70... hell, I was going 83 in a 65 and that felt fast. 70 in a 45 is wildly fast...

And, I DIDN'T know he was a cop... I thought he was some guy just pissed at me for passing him so aggressively from behind... so, I did edge him on as he caught up to me... pumping 4th gear and letting off... I'm not innocent here... just not sure how this 'pacing' holds up in court. :shrug:

Last edited:

florida03

Banned
Theres a Ticket Clinic down here in Miami
and they got every one of my tickets dissmissed,
including a 91 in a 35. 69$ and no points, no school,
no court, no hassle. Get a lawyer.

Users who are viewing this thread