Speeding question to LEOs

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
I'm sure it has been posted before... but why is it that the speed limits on highways seem so low?

I mean I commute frequently on a major freeway where the limit is 55 mph. Everyone averages 70-75 mph included state troopers.

Why does the state (county) post such low speed limits?

I know speed limits were partiallly introduced to save on gas, but it just seems ridiculous that a lot of limits are so low when it is very clear that it is still safe to drive at a faster pace.

SCBQQSTN

Established Member
Taken directly from Wikipedia, I thought this was an interesting point....

"Traffic violations can be a lucrative income source for jurisdictions and insurance companies.

For example:

Westlake, TX raked in $42,000 per citizen over 9 years for its speed traps.[56]
Insurance companies may receive several billions of dollars annually in traffic ticket surcharges.[57]

A study by the Federal Reserve of St. Louis found that traffic ticket writing increases when government revenue decreases.[58]

2008 debates over traffic enforcement in Dallas County, TX involved concerns of lost profits if ticketwriting decreased.[59][60][61]

Thus, an authority that sets and enforces speed limits, such as a state government, regulates and taxes insurance companies, who also gain revenue from speeding enforcement. Furthermore, such an authority often requires "all" drivers to have policies with those same companies, solidifying the association between the state and auto insurers. If a driver cannot be covered under an insurance policy because of high risk the state will assume that high risk for a greater monetary amount; thus resulting in even more revenue generation for the state."

Lawfficer

Just a dude with a car
Established Member
Speed Limits are set based on the road construction and the safest AVERAGE speed limit, with the exception of fuel saving mandates.

Generally, highways are listed as the maximum safe speed for 365-24/7. So, if in winter the maximum safe speed is 45, but in summer in perfect weather you can do 65, well then the speed limit would be set for 55 as the average.

Vehicle traffic can also affect this. I know in Cali a lot of huge 6 lane highways have the speed dropped down to 55. This is likely due to the number of vehicles using it and that it makes it less safe.

There are people that get paid to figure/calculate this all out. Just know that its not some arbitrary number plucked from someones mind.

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Speed Limits are set based on the road construction and the safest AVERAGE speed limit, with the exception of fuel saving mandates.

Generally, highways are listed as the maximum safe speed for 365-24/7. So, if in winter the maximum safe speed is 45, but in summer in perfect weather you can do 65, well then the speed limit would be set for 55 as the average.

Vehicle traffic can also affect this. I know in Cali a lot of huge 6 lane highways have the speed dropped down to 55. This is likely due to the number of vehicles using it and that it makes it less safe.

There are people that get paid to figure/calculate this all out. Just know that its not some arbitrary number plucked from someones mind.

I approve this post.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
I just removed a bunch of posts. This thread clearly holds it is a question for LEOs. Therefore, if you are not a site verified LEO refrain from posting in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread