Speeding squad car...

Status
Not open for further replies.

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
I was downtown last week and I left a parking lot where known street races go down (cops are always on patrol) well I chirped the tires pretty well and went flying down the road, I slowed back down to the speed limit 35 and noticed some ass was flying down the road. as he got closer I pushed in the clutch threw it in 2nd and was planning on launching on the guy to have a lil fun, I didnt go.... which was a good thing cause i briefly saw the light bar on the squad car next to my passenger door. problem was he was doing 80+ passed me, i dont know maybe he heard me at the light and was just looking for someone speeding, I noticed after 2 lights he slowed back down... isnt a squad car w/out light as dangerous as a civilian vehicle at those speeds???? hypethetical situation what if i changed lanes and he made contact with me car?

SnakeEyes03

MTC
Established Member
I wasn't there of course. But, LEO's are allowed to run code aka (lights and sirens) w/o the lights or siren if there is a situation where you don't want to use them ie...burglary, robbery, and so on. So, really no one but that officer knows.

But, we are allowed. Is it safe....I say it depends. we go through training at driving tracks for reasons like this. I hope that answered your question.

rrpederson

lookin 4 parts
Established Member
yes, from what u have described a speeding police car is hypothetically just as dangerous as a privately owned vehicle, but there are some considerations that the ordinary run of the mill citizen dont know about.

for example, there is a radio inside that car, that is there for officers, dispatchers and fire dept. emergency personel alike, to communicate with each other. now, that being said, there are instances where code 3, lights and siren would not be authorized by the dispatcher, but the officer can justify the high rate of speed, like when an officer calls for cover, he may be in a fight for his life, and he may not be, the only way to tell is if said officer yelled into the mic and u can hear the duress in his voice, or he said "send me cover, step it up." that means get here as soon as u can, because its about to get ugly and im by myself. other instances happen too, such as when there is someone in danger, most times officers dont know the circumstances of the danger, they just know someone is in danger, so they haul ass. sometimes dispatchers have their head up their butt and dont realize the danger but the officer does, and to prevent someone getting hurt he hauls ass.

also, most police departments make it a requirement for officers to complete a course of training called pvoc or evoc, either police vehicle operations course or emergency vehicle operations course. in that course we are taught, and can experience first hand, the limits of the car they are driving. so they are better at driving at high speed than most drivers out there on the road.

u stating that he slowed down after 2 lights indicates to me that something else indicated to the officer speeding that the danger has ceased and so he slowed back down.

another case is that he didnt have a chance to hit the lights yet. theres a milion things that are going on inside that car, that i cant list them all. but im sure that the officer saw that there was a need for the speed and had to get somewhere fast as possible. most of us dont just speed for no reason, now some do. the majority have the sense enough to use his driving as an example to other drivers and drive safely.

think of this. if u called 911 and were facing an emergency situation, wouldnt u want the cop u called for to haul ass to get there to help u? i know that if i called for cover i would damned sure want the officer to get there quick as i can, but i also have the responsibility to let them know when the danger has ceased so that they dont get into an accident because they thought i needed help.

does that clear it up a little bit?

Last edited:

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
of course i appreciate the reponses.. i was/ am stuck on the purpose of him trying to track down someone racing is the cause of the speeding and I would feel more comfortable if lights were in place so other drivers would know to pull aside. Yes, anything could be possible with the officer and what ever is going on inside the car.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
murph said:
I was downtown last week and I left a parking lot where known street races go down (cops are always on patrol) well I chirped the tires pretty well and went flying down the road, I slowed back down to the speed limit 35 and noticed some ass was flying down the road. as he got closer I pushed in the clutch threw it in 2nd and was planning on launching on the guy to have a lil fun, I didnt go.... which was a good thing cause i briefly saw the light bar on the squad car next to my passenger door. problem was he was doing 80+ passed me, i dont know maybe he heard me at the light and was just looking for someone speeding, I noticed after 2 lights he slowed back down... isnt a squad car w/out light as dangerous as a civilian vehicle at those speeds???? hypethetical situation what if i changed lanes and he made contact with me car?

Why are you bitching about what the cop did when what you did was just as bad if not worse? PLUS your stupid head was ready to engage in a street race with him if you hadn't seen the light bar! Frankly you should just STFU about the whole thing before this gets moved to smackdown

KenneBellGT87

Banned
i always see cops speeding. why do some cops filick their lights and turn them off right after they go through red lights too? a question i always had for LEO's

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
KenneBellGT87 said:
i always see cops speeding. why do some cops filick their lights and turn them off right after they go through red lights too? a question i always had for LEO's

One reason is because they are going to a call and told not to run code 3, yet some depts, still have them go code 3 throught lights and then off again. Or they are running code three and at that time are cancelled.

FNsweetS3

Crazy Gun Bunny!!!
Established Member
Most of the calls we run are without lights and sirens.... it has to be all but murder / /shots fired or a violent domestic to have the dispatcher tell you run priority. It doesn't make the other calls less important.... so most departments grant a gray area on running calls so we don't get stuck in traffic , lights and so on.

Think of it this way... you see a guy (a monster of a man you would not want to go one on one with) breaking into your car.... you call the police (times is around 5pm - traffic is heavy).... do you want him to follow all the rules of law and have it take him 2 or 3 times as long to get there... or do you want them there fast so they can catch the guy.

SublimeRT

'94 Slooowbraa
Established Member
murph said:
well I chirped the tires pretty well and went flying down the road, I slowed back down to the speed limit 35 and noticed some ass was flying down the road.

:poke: So he's the ass and not you, even though you did the same thing?

Last edited:

Steeda30

Clearance Clarence
Established Member
The regulations of running "code 3" don't seem to make much sense. Why wouldn't you run light and siren on the way to the location of the crime/burglary/robbery while you're flying past traffic and through intersections? You're not going to spook the burgler while you're flying down the highway with your lights and siren on. Lights and siren can only help the squad car be more visible to other motorists while you're on your way to the scene.

Why not turn them off at a given distance from the crime scene and then go in quickly and quietly?

All the driving experience in the world can't prevent some accidents that could happen as a result of an inattentive motorist.

Last edited:

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
RDJ said:
Why are you bitching about what the cop did when what you did was just as bad if not worse? PLUS your stupid head was ready to engage in a street race with him if you hadn't seen the light bar! Frankly you should just STFU about the whole thing before this gets moved to smackdown

You need to chill, I was curious of why the hell he was doing over double the speed limit w/out lights going in and out of traffic then all the suddon slowing down, thats all. by your response its good to finally hear about a mustang owner that has never went over the speed limit with his stang.....

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
KenneBellGT87 said:
oh thanks. now i wont get mad and just think they are dicks in a hurry and dont feel like sitting at a light.

another good one that is seen way to often. i just hope they do it mostly for good reasons.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
I can understand not running Sirens/Lights to a scene

The officer/department becomes somewhat responsible for every vehicle on that street if they run lights/sirens? (in a sense right?)
You dont want Jimbo hitting a sign/pedestrian/vehicle/building to get out of your way if your responding to a non life threatening call that only requires speediness!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
murph said:
You need to chill, I was curious of why the hell he was doing over double the speed limit w/out lights going in and out of traffic then all the suddon slowing down, thats all. by your response its good to finally hear about a mustang owner that has never went over the speed limit with his stang.....

So how do you know he was doing 80+? were you doing 80? Why did you call him an ASS (your words not mine) for doing the very same thing you had been doing and were preparing to do again and would have done if you hadn't spotted the light bar (again YOUR words not mine)

I never said I didn't go over the speed limit. I can say I have never gone twice the limit, ever ... and I certainly have never come in to a forum complaining or ragging on someone for doing something I myself was doing not 5 minutes before ...

DHG4410

Established Member
He was probably just looking for someone speeding after he heard the tires chirp and didn't want to put his lights on just yet. *edited by moderator-read the rules*
Sorry to hijack the thread i was just wondering what kind of numbers you were puttin down with the TT 6.

murph

Boosted 3.8L
Established Member
I dont know my exact speed maybe 60 but I slowed down, and there was absolutly no traffic and no sidestreets, I have had 1 speeding ticket and I never race when I know there are sidestreets. I dont wanna injure anyone for my stupidity i wish others would be the same I know this is towards the rice crowd cause you hear more stories from them being a dumbass 90% of the time. --DHG4410-- Im getting a final tune early next month and my 8.8 gears! but with my old piping it put down 275 horse and 360 ft lbs of torque... stock everything (and I now have shorty headers w/ new exhaust piping to the turbos)

WDW MKR

Established Member
Wish others would be the same? I don't. We don't need anyone hauling ass down city streets, regardless of the amount of side streets, ready to jam the car back in 2nd and take of again to prove their manhood to an unknown car coming up behind them.

In no way am I above another in terms of doing stupid things when I was younger. However, I sure don't think the lower severity of my stupid acts makes me an example to be followed.

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
I saw a similar situation today. Granted it was on a four lane divided highway (grassy median) but I met a sheriff deputy running at least 90 mph with no activated emergency lights, flashing headlights or siren. His approach speed at rural intersections was rather frightening. The deputy would have never been able to react to a car entering the intersection and misjudging his speed. Lots of variables in these situations I'm sure. Some legitmate and perhaps some that are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread