Speeding Ticket 120+mph CA

S8ER01Z

Established Member
was that in the first link? or the one you posted with several links that i was too lazy to look through? if the first... i need to rethink my life if i just missed it, lol.

It was in the full test linked in the one I posted with multiple links. I read them every year so I happened to know roughly where to find it. I'm always chatting with our local chief about the various cars and what he is going to get next. (He still has a 2007 impala right now)

Monster Mach

Established Member
Silver are the impalas accurate speedos like the crown? If so then they are a joke. Iv had a few crowns say I was doing 140 plus but when I have bikes GPS cars all say I'm Doug 10-15 mph difference depending on the car. Every crown Vic iv been in that the Ecu was touched had the speedo ****ed up from 90 on.
Plus at 120 plus to pace instead of diffusing the situation quickly couldn't the lawer claim the officer was being reckless? Iv heard of it happening In a few states like v.a an o.k but idk about everywhere

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Silver are the impalas accurate speedos like the crown? If so then they are a joke. Iv had a few crowns say I was doing 140 plus but when I have bikes GPS cars all say I'm Doug 10-15 mph difference depending on the car. Every crown Vic iv been in that the Ecu was touched had the speedo ****ed up from 90 on.
Plus at 120 plus to pace instead of diffusing the situation quickly couldn't the lawer claim the officer was being reckless? Iv heard of it happening In a few states like v.a an o.k but idk about everywhere

My Impala has 2 speedometers, needle style and digital. Digital is accurate with the RADAR unit all the way to top end. Even using the needle though (CV included), I personally have not seen one off at top end by more than 2 or 3 MPH. When I pace at high speeds, for that reason alone, I will also have RADAR activated to get patrol speed.

Monster Mach

Established Member
My Impala has 2 speedometers, needle style and digital. Digital is accurate with the RADAR unit all the way to top end. Even using the needle though (CV included), I personally have not seen one off at top end by more than 2 or 3 MPH. When I pace at high speeds, for that reason alone, I will also have RADAR activated to get patrol speed.

Nice to know and thank you for being a honest officer

BlownAway05

Established Member
22348 b.

Court date is currently scheduled for April 29th.

Know of a good lawyer for LA Metro?

Here is the relevant statute. Looks like max $500 fine and max 30 day suspension of license since it is your first offense of this statute.

Effective: January 1, 2005

West's Ann.Cal.Vehicle Code § 22348

§ 22348. Exceeding the speed limit on highways; punishment for driving at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour; driving in designated lanes

(a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.

(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:

(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed seven hundred fifty dollars ($750). The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.

(3) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that occurred within five years of two or more prior offenses resulting in convictions of offenses under this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000). The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 13355.

(c) A vehicle subject to Section 22406 shall be driven in a lane designated pursuant to Section 21655, or if a lane has not been so designated, in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, the driver shall use either the designated lane, the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane for traffic as permitted under this code. If, however, specific lane or lanes have not been designated on a divided highway having four or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, a vehicle may also be driven in the lane to the immediate left of the right- hand lane, unless otherwise prohibited under this code. This subdivision does not apply to a driver who is preparing for a left- or right-hand turn or who is in the process of entering into or exiting from a highway or to a driver who is required necessarily to drive in a lane other than the right- hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.

Cal. Veh. Code § 22348 (West)

Last edited:

04cobra408

NorCal SVTOA
Established Member
damn dude where was this

101. i was stupid, was testing something and decided to make two pulls.shouldn't have. but oh well not a biggie as long as nothing happens to my license which i think is fine right.. I was very cooperative and all that jazz, funny thing is the younger of the two (in his 20's) kept bringing up my hoosiers lol told him ,ya theyre not really legal, but to be honest they stick better in dry weather and i rarely drive this car so they were cool. the car was really dirty so i'm sure that helped him believe i don't drive it much. which i don't.:beer:

Last edited:

2012fiveoh

Established Member
Few months back I got a 92 in a 50 (arrested on paper but not physically, car was not impounded) went to court in a suit and just pled guilty. Judge cut me some huge slack for some reason and offered traffic school. 4 hour online course and no other fees. I won't be pushing my luck anytime soon. Anything 100+ and I would probably lawyer up. In hindsight I probably should have lawyered up for my offense but just got lucky.

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Here is the relevant statute. Looks like max $500 fine and max 30 day suspension of license since it is your first offense of this statute.

Effective: January 1, 2005

West's Ann.Cal.Vehicle Code § 22348

§ 22348. Exceeding the speed limit on highways; punishment for driving at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour; driving in designated lanes

(a) Notwithstanding subdivision (b) of Section 22351, a person shall not drive a vehicle upon a highway with a speed limit established pursuant to Section 22349 or 22356 at a speed greater than that speed limit.

(b) A person who drives a vehicle upon a highway at a speed greater than 100 miles per hour is guilty of an infraction punishable, as follows:

(1) Upon a first conviction of a violation of this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed five hundred dollars ($500). The court may also suspend the privilege of the person to operate a motor vehicle for a period not to exceed 30 days pursuant to Section 13200.5.

(2) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that occurred within three years of a prior offense resulting in a conviction of an offense under this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed seven hundred fifty dollars ($750). The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (a) of Section 13355.

(3) Upon a conviction under this subdivision of an offense that occurred within five years of two or more prior offenses resulting in convictions of offenses under this subdivision, by a fine of not to exceed one thousand dollars ($1,000). The person's privilege to operate a motor vehicle shall be suspended by the Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to subdivision (b) of Section 13355.

(c) A vehicle subject to Section 22406 shall be driven in a lane designated pursuant to Section 21655, or if a lane has not been so designated, in the right-hand lane for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand edge or curb. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, the driver shall use either the designated lane, the lane to the immediate left of the right-hand lane, or the right-hand lane for traffic as permitted under this code. If, however, specific lane or lanes have not been designated on a divided highway having four or more clearly marked lanes for traffic in one direction, a vehicle may also be driven in the lane to the immediate left of the right- hand lane, unless otherwise prohibited under this code. This subdivision does not apply to a driver who is preparing for a left- or right-hand turn or who is in the process of entering into or exiting from a highway or to a driver who is required necessarily to drive in a lane other than the right- hand lane to continue on his or her intended route.

Cal. Veh. Code § 22348 (West)

That is the appropriate citing section, however the fine is only the state's piece of the pie. Each court has the authority to levy local and/or county fines to cover costs, I have seen 100 plus speeds weigh in at as much as $1,100 in total fines.

g00se

I am Second
Established Member
Ticket finally processed and mailed to me, a mandatory court appearance is required. I haven't decided yet whether I'll get a lawyer or not. Court appearance will be in the next couple weeks.

jbs$

Established Member
If you don't get a lawyer, at least buy yourself a large size tube of KY Jelly, as you will need it.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You haven't decided if you're getting a lawyer or not? Are you serious?

If you decide against a lawyer, at least bring someone with you to the court hearing so they can drive your car home and it won't have to be impounded when you get put in jail.

redfirepearlgt

SIT BACK AND HANG ON !!!
Established Member
Ticket finally processed and mailed to me, a mandatory court appearance is required. I haven't decided yet whether I'll get a lawyer or not. Court appearance will be in the next couple weeks.

Sat in court some years back and observed a young guy before the judge with a 101 in a 50. Judge says, "Young man before I ask you how you plead would you like to get a lawyer? I'll give you a continuance to do that." The kid says, "No judge, I'm guilty. I wasn't thinking." The judge replied, "Young man, I'm going to highly siggest you take my advise, ask for a continuance, and go get a lawyer." The kid says "Sir, I don't want a lawyer." "Okay. How do you plead to the offense?", the judge asked. "Guilty sir", was his repsonse. "The guilty plea is accepted. I am suspending your license for 6 months. You will do 30 days in jail, and pay a $500.00 fine. Bailiff take him out of here".

As true and as accurate as I can recall it happening. You could have heard a pin drop in that room. The only thing the judge said after sentence was, "Some people just won't listen when I am trying to help them."

Get a frickin lawyer. I spent 7 years in So Cal. They will roast you for that one. Not even Beyonce could talk herself down to a paid fine and 6 points on that one.

eddyroxx

Established Member
if he wrote 120+ you're kinda screwed. same thing happened to me but he wrote 80+ since i had a clean record, paid $240, slap on the wrist but learned my lesson

mswaim

Dark Side Poster
Established Member
Sat in court some years back and observed a young guy before the judge with a 101 in a 50. Judge says, "Young man before I ask you how you plead would you like to get a lawyer? I'll give you a continuance to do that." The kid says, "No judge, I'm guilty. I wasn't thinking." The judge replied, "Young man, I'm going to highly siggest you take my advise, ask for a continuance, and go get a lawyer." The kid says "Sir, I don't want a lawyer." "Okay. How do you plead to the offense?", the judge asked. "Guilty sir", was his repsonse. "The guilty plea is accepted. I am suspending your license for 6 months. You will do 30 days in jail, and pay a $500.00 fine. Bailiff take him out of here".

As true and as accurate as I can recall it happening. You could have heard a pin drop in that room. The only thing the judge said after sentence was, "Some people just won't listen when I am trying to help them."

Get a frickin lawyer. I spent 7 years in So Cal. They will roast you for that one. Not even Beyonce could talk herself down to a paid fine and 6 points on that one.

She could if I were the officer.......

Users who are viewing this thread