Speeding ticket...need input

Traveler

Two-time SVT Cobra guy
Established Member
Honestly, I didn't realize I was speeding. Got cited for 52 in a 35 after leaving an intersection where the speed limit gradually increases. I thought I was in the 45 mph zone, but I apparently got there too soon. All this took place over a span of just .8 mile. Actually I thought I was pulling over to let him by responding to a call or something. We had a few distractions in the vehicle, but I can't say whether I was or wasn't speeding and didn't initially see him at first, because I wasn't looking for him. I didn't ask to see the radar. I didn't have a radar detector in use. Its my first ticket of ANY KIND in 16 years. The LEO suggested that I may be able to get an improper equipment rather than a plea down to 9 over...but obviously no promises from him. He was very thoughtful with his suggestions.

Question is given my record and my age, is it possible for me to get an improper equipment plea or would I be better off getting an attorney to handle it for me? From my understanding all courts, DAs, etc. are different and I'm a bit nervous as I really could use a non-moving violation with fine as opposed to something that's going to stay on my record for 3 years.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance, guys.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread