speeding ticket

stangm89

WILD BILL
Established Member
i got caught speeding back about a month ago 92/55 which i could just go pay the ticket of 399.00 but i took my defensive driving class and they say i need to go to court and see what the judge will do with it.should i just pay my fine? or will i waste my time going to court with the high speed? never been to court in my life by the way and i have a clean driving record too as of now anyway

SpdPilot

Established Member
If you do go to court, just be careful of what they have you sign. Read it carefully. I did a plea bargain on a ticket once, paid it at a reduced rate and thought I did pretty good for myself, then I found out my license was suspended for a year. They sneaked that one in on me. No going back, I signed it.

Out here, they usually tell you without question if traffic school is going to remove the points from your violation. It is the only reason anyone would ever go.

I personally would go before the judge. In my experience, they never go up on the fine, only down. And if you have been to traffic school, the judge may just let you by with no points. But it is still on your record normally. It can only cost you less if you go before the judge. But then again, you are asking someone who got their license suspended! The worst that should happen is you pay the full amount.

Last edited:

STG

Banned
If you do go to court, just be careful of what they have you sign. Read it carefully. I did a plea bargain on a ticket once, paid it at a reduced rate and thought I did pretty good for myself, then I found out my license was suspended for a year. They sneaked that one in on me. No going back, I signed it.

You signed a court document without reading or understanding it? :bash::bash::bash:

Tell the truth: Did you obey the law and not drive during your suspension?

Last edited:

ModularFan

Established Member
they may not always lessen the fine. alot of time's if you know a cop and the cop knows the judge he could probably get it down to a seatbelt ticket instead but it probably wont happen.

SpdPilot

Established Member
You signed a court document without reading or understanding it? :bash::bash::bash:

Tell the truth: Did you obey the law and not drive during your suspension?

It was 20 years ago and I was young and stupid. And actually, no I didn't drive at all. I bought a bicycle for my commute and ended up getting into bicycle racing because of it. It ended up being one of the better things to happen to me in the end. That was in AZ. About 6 months into it, I moved to CA and DMV here said that I can have a CA license because what AZ suspended my license for, CA would not suspend a license for.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
well i went to court today had to pay the full fine

You did the right thing in going. ALWAYS ALWAYS go to court. the worst that can happen is what happened to you .. you had to pay the full fine. I have had tickets thrown out or fines reduced more often than not so it is always worth going to court for IMHO.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
You did the right thing in going. ALWAYS ALWAYS go to court. the worst that can happen is what happened to you .. you had to pay the full fine. I have had tickets thrown out or fines reduced more often than not so it is always worth going to court for IMHO.

Actually, the worst that can happen is that the judge changes the charge based on the evidence submitted and he winds up in a worse situation with more fines, court costs and other penalties.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Actually, the worst that can happen is that the judge changes the charge based on the evidence submitted and he winds up in a worse situation with more fines, court costs and other penalties.

I suppose that it is possible but in my experience unlikely unless one is a total tool in court. When I go to traffic court (and believe me I have been a LOT) I usually wind up hanging out and watching for awhile and I don't think I have ever seen a judge up the charges. I am sure that you have since you have much more courtroom experience than I have but have you ever seen this when the guy was being other than a tool?

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
i pleaded no contest do i still get points turned in?

yes. a no contest plea is the same as a guilty plea the judge usually asks you if you understand that before he accepts the plea.

Quik Z06

Established Member
In CA at that speed it's a mandatory appearance (lol ask me how I know) Actually happened to my brother too 70 in a 35 and it was a mandatory apperance. I usually never go to court, i usually do a Trial By Declaration.

Users who are viewing this thread