Speedo pegged

2tonOfun

Established Member
I was on the freeway at 4:30 am and had an Evo that wanted to play but since it was pretty cool out (55 degrees) and I have read all the stories about 80mph kickdowns and motors going boom (I make at least 14lbs of boost), I didn't take the bait but at one point he was behind me and there was no one out in front of us so I just easily rolled into the throttle untill my speedo was pegged. He stayed right behind me the whole time untill the speedo stopped moving and I backed out of it.

Anyway, does anyone have an idea of how fast that is? 150ish?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I would guess 145+- I've pegged it once. Probably never again.

lokilightning

AnotherWhiningFarmTruck
Established Member
According to my GPS I hit 154 in mine one morning. It was still pulling so I don't know what it would've done if I'd stayed in it. I didn't even notice I had went that fast for 2 days when I was playing with the GPS. My top speed was 136. That was the only time I had done a high speed run since.

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
ive pegged mine once in my younger days it pulled another 500 rpms after pegging the speedo. I later relized it was pointless and very dangerous

slowcoupe89

holic of many variations
Established Member
I thought high speed runs were just as bad for these beasts as the high speed kick down, runs in OD, and temps lower than 50?

None the less sounds like fun. lol

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
I thought high speed runs were just as bad for these beasts as the high speed kick down, runs in OD, and temps lower than 50?

None the less sounds like fun. lol

They are...unless you are tuned damned good high speed runs can and well blow your shit to pieces.

NewKid

Aliens
Established Member
I've pegged the speedo three times.

Once when I was on a long drive, middle of the night, empty highway, about 70ish degrees, I just rolled into it, nothing big; hit the 140 mark and backed off.

Second time was racing a LS2 GTO (mods unknown). We were on the highway, again late at night, and we both just kind of kept speeding up until my foot was on the floor (and his was too obviously) I hit 140 and held it for a good 10 more seconds and could tell I was still gaining speed. Ended up about a car ahead when I shut down. Oh, the O/D was on during this, as we just caught each other cruising.

Third time was pretty much like the first.

Topping out with O/D off sounds scary.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
do these motors have the piston clearing problem like the 03/04 cobras at high speed runs?

latemodelracer2

Boosted Beyond bolt ons
Established Member
on the lightnings the rods sucks..... piston clearance in the cobras suck. maybee its a sign we shouldnt be doing 140+ in these cars

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
^^^^
At least in cold temps. Andre does many runs for long periods of time on the Autobahn but he is tuned for that and he doesn't do it when it's cold out.

2tonOfun

Established Member
Yeah, I didn't notice what rpm I was at but the motor sounded fine. As far as it being cold out, I'm not sure if 55 is "cold". I have a very good tune with conservitive timing and AF ratios. But I still didn't want to just nail it. I don't really feel that going very fast in a fast truck/car is "stupid shit", I mean whats the point of having one if you don't stretch it's legs now and then? I was the only one in my truck with one other car on a completely empty, very wide freeway.
I even looked on some Mitsubishi threads to see if I could find the other guy take on the whole thing but...
Anyway, I'm thinking I hit 150 at least. Oh well, at least I can say the trucks been up there in those speeds.

RIDE THE

Shake & Bake
Established Member
What is factory boost levels????? 8 PSI. Your pushing at least 14 PSI, maybe slightly more with colder temps. There is a big difference in being stock and pushig those speeds and being modded pushing it that hard.

It's your truck and you can do what ever the hell you want to it. I myself just wouldn't push a modded truck that hard in colder temps. The cost of possible engine failure to me is not worth the few seconds of speed.

Myself, I can wait until spring to go that fast.

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
I've heard that the 99-00 are geared to 172mph and the 01-04's are 164mph. Stock max dragged limited was avg 142mph. So iv you've got the power, the tunning, and the balls, at red line you can deff get passed the 140 speedo mark.

Anyone have more accurat inffo on this? Andre, where you at?

2tonOfun

Established Member
"What is factory boost levels????? 8 PSI. Your pushing at least 14 PSI, maybe slightly more with colder temps. There is a big difference in being stock and pushig those speeds and being modded pushing it that hard.

It's your truck and you can do what ever the hell you want to it. I myself just wouldn't push a modded truck that hard in colder temps. The cost of possible engine failure to me is not worth the few seconds of speed.

Myself, I can wait until spring to go that fast."

You're probably right.

I would have been bummed if it would have gone "bang". Then I would have started one of "those" threads.:(

but all is well in Lightningville.

Last edited:

Kryo-Genik

My meat is hand rubbed
Established Member
Yeah, I didn't notice what rpm I was at but the motor sounded fine. As far as it being cold out, I'm not sure if 55 is "cold". I have a very good tune with conservitive timing and AF ratios. But I still didn't want to just nail it. I don't really feel that going very fast in a fast truck/car is "stupid shit", I mean whats the point of having one if you don't stretch it's legs now and then? I was the only one in my truck with one other car on a completely empty, very wide freeway.
I even looked on some Mitsubishi threads to see if I could find the other guy take on the whole thing but...
Anyway, I'm thinking I hit 150 at least. Oh well, at least I can say the trucks been up there in those speeds.

you have a fast vehicle, but you also have to remember you are a flying brick..and anything over 100mph you arent exactly babying the truck. When i say stupid shit...take a look here and abroad with how many "new" guys are blocking their engines all over the street from trying full WOT runs to as fast as humanly possible. Also a full throttle shift into OD can and will break your tranny. Stupid shit is doing something that can/will and has been proven to blow your truck to pieces for a few seconds of fun. It is your truck, do with it as you wish....but there are plenty of threads and warnings against doing things like this.

Andre

Autobahn Dept.
Established Member
I am always feel the flattering pedal at high speeds, thats a sign of being faster than 140 mph.

Like Eric said, i am always watching the outside temperatures to be safe as possible when i do it.
My truck got a Autobahn tune by Rick and the Lightning also knows the higher speeds since the Break in miles of the engine.

Another important part is the Brakes. Stock Brakes are not made for this kind of driving. Also Aftermarket Brakes have hard to work to slow down the Lightning.

I am sure that if i would get a truck with some miles on it that was driven on highway- (not Autobahn ) speeds for a few years it would be more dangerous to stay in high rpm´s in 4th gear to long.

Always Fresh oil, best fuel available.

Sure, it can happen anytime.

As my truck was stock with just a Cat Back there was just a small difference in the top speed.
It always belongs to the weather and wind conditions.

The theoretical TopSpeed of the Lightning up to the rev limiter is 178mp/h. (Dynotested)

The TopSpeed i saw on my GPS was 161 mph.

But from the rpm´s i went faster many times as i didn´t went with the gps in the truck. ( I am not talking from speeds faster than 170!)

If you see 140 mph on your speedo there is still a long way for the rpm needle to do.

It´s always an adventure to go fast like a Lightning ---- in the Lightning!Maybe thats why i love it so much.

Edit:
in this video you can see the rpm needle at around 4800 rpm´s doing 157mph.
Lot changes on the truck now since this video. need to make another one :rolling:
140mph is at around 4200rpm if i remember right.http://www.f150online.de/andre.wmv

Here is another Video of 2004 - Lightning = stock - just Cat Back
You can see the rpm´s climbing while the speedo is pegged the whole time.
http://www.svtmeet.com/trailer/autobahn.wmv

:beer:

André

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread