Speedo question

Fomocoguy

Hello everyone I have a hopefully simple question. And I couldn’t find any recent answerI just picked up a 96 cobra a few months ago, it’s all stock except from what the calculators say is a 3.73 gear ratio, ( though the original 3.27 tag is still on the axle, and doesn’t look to me like it’s even been opened up). My question is, I’m looking into Getting some 4.30s, but from what I can tell my only option to correct the speedo is the Dallas mustang speedcal that is no longer made. Is there a tuner I could buy to correct the speedometer for the swap. I don’t want to go to 4.10s just to throw a short lived plastic gear into it to get it almost correct. These 3.73s just don’t pull in 3rd. Thanks for any help

scottydsntknow

Established Member
The plastic gear isn't correct, it's a Chrysler gear. The Ford speedcal works but just get a tune. You should have a tune anyway so let the tuner know what ratio you have and good to go. Also when I say get a tune I mean a REAL tune. Don't go to bama or any of the "tunes for life".

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
The plastic gear isn't correct, it's a Chrysler gear. The Ford speedcal works but just get a tune. You should have a tune anyway so let the tuner know what ratio you have and good to go. Also when I say get a tune I mean a REAL tune. Don't go to bama or any of the "tunes for life".

A tune won't fix the speedo on pre 99

Fomocoguy

Bummer, Well fun ain’t cheap. I’ll just have to suck it up and do it right. Thanks
Again for all of the help.

Users who are viewing this thread