speedometer gear for 4.1

lilnatedogg21

Established Member
I installed a 4.10 gear and i had to get a speedometer gear for the transmission to get the spedometer right. My spedometer was off by about 15mph. I as told to get a 23 tooth speedometer gear. I bought a 23 tooth speometer gear, and the spedometer is still off. Not sure how bad off now, but it is still off. If anybody knows anything about this, please let me know. Thanx

ALLNTRL

Established Member
You will have to buy a DMP SpeedCal, you can not fix the speedo to read accurately with the 95 model's Trans. and just a 23 tooth gear swap. The ONLY one in which that works for is 96-98 Cobra's (the GT's T-45 trans. is different) w/ T-45 trans. and 4.10 gears. Hope that helps. :beer:

1 BA SVT

your momma likes it
Established Member
The best way to do it is to go get a new driven and drive gear for the transmission. You'll need a 7tooth drive gear and i forget which driven gear. Look in a Motorsport catalog and it will tell you which gear(how many teeth) to match a 7tooth for your 4.10's

The driven gear sits inside the tailshaft housing of the trans so the tranny will have to come out to do this, but the benefits of this will be the ability to just change out drive gears if you change rear ends. With a 7tooth drive gear you can go as low as a 3.27 and as high as a 4.30 I believe.

Anyway that's what I did when I put the 4.10's in my car and still had the T-5(may she rest in pieces).

The two gears together are about 12-13 dollars and if you know how to pull the trans out you should be able to have it done in about an hour and a half.:D

ALLNTRL

Established Member
1 BA SVT, this is one of the things I was refering to about the GT vs. the Cobra's trans. is that the drive gears are different sizes (one is a 7 tooth and the other an 8 tooth). The T-5 uses a 7 tooth like the T-45 does in the 96-98 GT's but the Cobra 's are different and that chart in the Motorsports book won't work in that situation. ;-)

lilnatedogg21

Established Member
i thought that you could fix the speedo with the gear in the 94 and 95s, bt not from 96-up. I thought the speedcal was for the 9 and ups?

lilnatedogg21

Established Member
what color is the 23 tooth spoeedometer gear, i heard that it is suppose to be black, i got a white one? My speedometer is still about 10mph off.

ALLNTRL

Established Member
Originally posted by lilnatedogg21
what color is the 23 tooth spoeedometer gear, i heard that it is suppose to be black, i got a white one? My speedometer is still about 10mph off.
The 23 tooth gear is white, the reason your speedo is still off is because your car has a T-5 trans. with a 7 tooth gear drive, not the 8 tooth gear drive that the T-45 uses. ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread