!spoiler

JoeJ LS1

Established Member
I have to say that spoiler put on these '03s i quite possible one of the ugliest peices of body cladding ever put on a motor vehichle. I know that the cars could be ordered without the spoiler, but since I'm looking for an '03 off the lot what are my options for spoiler removal? can i instruct the dealer to remove it? can i do it myself? how is it attached? just 3m?

HAVEIGHT 13R

Established Member
Sorry man its bolted on and attached with a n adhesive, you would have to fill the holes and have it repainted.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
WRONG! There is no adhesive holding it on. There is, however a rather large cutout which a third light kit (not the same third light that the spoiler has on it) fits into. He was right about the holes though.

Some people have bought a spoilerless trunk off of a wrecked V-6 then had it painted to match. This seems to be the best way out, if you can find a trunk lid.

That "adhesive" he referred to is a single sided foam tape. Problem is that the tape will NOT stand still. It will wander and poke out. I have just redone mine with wider foam tape which I picked up at a shop that sells camper shells and covers for trucks. Do a search and you'll find lots of info on it.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by SnakeBit
WRONG! There is no adhesive holding it on.

On some of the newer cars they may be using a type of silicon adhesive. My foam tape was coming out so I took it in and they pulled all the tape off and put down a strip of silicon adhesive that works great. I know this because they put a little too much on the back in one spot and it ran down a little and dried. The service guy told me they were switching to this becuase of so many of the foam strips were creaping out.

Flatliner

THE HEARTBEAT STOPS HERE.
Established Member
I noticed when I prepped my car for the winter that the adhesive was creeping out... wouldn't you believe that from bumps and closing the trunk there is a 2-3mm spot that looks like a chip from rubbing. This :cuss: me off...

I want a spoiler delete as well... looks like I will be looking for a wrecked car then.

Does anyone know what happens to the wiring harness then, does it just sit in the trunk or does it have a connector for a third brake light on the trunks w/o the spolier?

beabout

Established Member
If you don't want the spoiler go to your favorite body shop. Have them order the plain (v6?) trunk lid or get one from salvage and r&r with paint to match. A lot cheaper than having holes filled and then painted. (labor) and you can do it yourself and have painted.

I have been thinking about this myself since I agree with you about how Fugly the spoiler is.

Last edited by a moderator:

donaisenbrey

Established Member
I've done this twice. Once on a '96 GT and once on my '99 Cobra. Find a "Friendly" dealership and have them "trade" the trunk lid from another Mustang that is the same color. If you are getting a Cobra specific color the "get one from a wreck " method is the best................Don

JoeJ LS1

Established Member
well damn, its more complicated than i thought. I know you could order them spoilerless, but since I'm looking for a holdover '03 thats not an option :(

Hicompression

Hah!
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeJ LS1
I have to say that spoiler put on these '03s is quite possibly one of the ugliest peices of body cladding ever put on a motor vehicle.

You, Sir, are correct. R&R'd mine with a V-6 spoilerless lid. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Originally posted by JoeJ LS1
well damn, its more complicated than i thought. I know you could order them spoilerless, but since I'm looking for a holdover '03 thats not an option :(

It is still an option for ya buddy....I didnt order my factory spoiler delete 03....Jacky Jones Ford in Cleveland Georgia had her brandy new sitting in the showroom......just waiting for me :D Some dealers order some cool cars :beer:

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I agree with Ken. Look for a V6 person who wants a spoiler. The 03 spoiler, although ugly in my opinion, does have those attractive LEDs or whatever they are so it is attractive to some. Maybe post something on a V6 website and see if anyone with the same color [if possible] wants to trade. that would be easiest and cheapest.

Users who are viewing this thread