Spots on wheels

Weslsew

Established Member
After a few weeks of being unable to wash my car, I finally was able to wash it today and the wheels did not come completely clean. As you can see, there are several spots all over the front wheels (only the fronts so it must be from brake dust) the rears are perfect. I have only tried soap and scrubbing, but these will not come off.

These are reps, I don't know which brand, but I had always assumed they were clear coated. These spots almost look like rust. Please give me some good news and tell me these aren't ruined and can be easily fixed!

mzL0ld9.jpg

9gWg2xj.jpg

06jfnxW.jpg

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
It's hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like pitting from road salt. It could just be brake dust, try some chrome polish and a microfiber and see if they come out.

The problem with reps is most of the time they use a poor quality chrome and it pits very easily if not cleaned regularly in the winter and waxed

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I would say break out the chrome polish and elbow grease and hope for the best, but it looks troubling for sure. Good news is you really aren't looking at a ton of money to replace if they are pitted.

Weslsew

Established Member
I'm in Florida so they've never been near salt. The only thing that's touched them is brake dust and water.

As for polish, would never dull work (I have some but it seems to be pretty gentle) or would you recommend something else?

Weslsew

Established Member
Well it was bothering me so much I just quickly tried some never dull and it took about 99% of the spots off and made the wheels shine better than before! This was just after about five minutes of rubbing, so hopefully a little more will get them perfect.

How can I prevent this from happening again? Obviously my wheels are uncoated chrome, can I use a paint sealant like BFWD on them?

IRhiuPK.jpg

pr8Dick.jpg

6H6AZQz.jpg

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Congrats, they look great. Not sure on the best wax\sealant. I just have some Optimum spray wax on mine currently and their chrome. I really need to put something better on mine. I've heard Collinite 845 is a popular wax for wheels.

inyadreems

Established Member
Collonite 476s and 845 is a great choice for wheel protection and then follow up with a spray wax every wash.

jblood37

Established Member
Wheels look much better man. Good job. Definitely seal them if possible. I think you may have seen a little salt in Florida :p

Woody6799

Established Member
I used Collinite 845 on my AFS's and now I use them on the RK's. Wheels come off every winter and go to the basement for a full cleaning and waxing.

Users who are viewing this thread