Spring Install Cost

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Called a local shop. They quoted me for a spring install, estimated 1.5 hrs of work for $140. I have not lowered any cars yet because the Cobra sat low enough for me and the M3 was fine as is. How much should this cost? I know some ppl may get better deals because they know the shop owner or what not, but what is a realistic price for spring installs.

Krwy

Established Member
That seems pretty reasonable. Our shop labor rate is $65 an hour which is stupid cheap for performance installs. It usually takes about that long maybe up to 2 hours depending if there are any hang ups trying to install.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
1.5 hours...I have done springs ALOT and even as many times 1.5 is pushing it. Dont be suprised if it takes them longer. I would get a set price for the spring install and not by the hour or your bill might go up. They are easy...and just for the fun in it alone I would do myself if I were you.-Shane

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
thats not too bad id just have them do it, but then again it is -15 degrees here right now and my shop would be like 35 with the heater full on so i would 100% pay someone to do it for me

EVO-lution

Established Member
it's as simple as that. it's really not that hard to do it yourself. I say save your money and install it yourself. regular sockets and a ratchet will do. as well as a 2 1/2 ton jack and a small piece of wood. when your lowering the suspension to get the spring out just lower it slowly. u don't need a spring compressor. me and a friend did it in about 5 hrs.....mainly because we took our time and we were eating and relaxing hahahaha.

teaser004.jpg

teaser008.jpg

teaser005.jpg

teaser010.jpg

teaser009.jpg

jonv0305

Established Member
i agree, do it yourself. it's such an easy job and it's always good to get some hands on experience that way if you know anyone that needs their springs installed, you can make some money doing it for them.

btw, what springs do you plan on running? i have eibach prokit with the ISOs taken out of the front. definitely a good stance, plus good ride height for daily driving.

330mach1

Established Member
it's as simple as that. it's really not that hard to do it yourself. I say save your money and install it yourself. regular sockets and a ratchet will do. as well as a 2 1/2 ton jack and a small piece of wood. when your lowering the suspension to get the spring out just lower it slowly. u don't need a spring compressor. me and a friend did it in about 5 hrs.....mainly because we took our time and we were eating and relaxing hahahaha.

teaser004.jpg

teaser008.jpg

teaser005.jpg

teaser010.jpg

teaser009.jpg

no offense but it looks like you did it the hard way. i pulled the abs wires out of their holders, pulled top of shock out and it came right down. op i would say do it yourself. there a probably quite a few write ups to show you how to do it. and it will give you more confidence to do other mods.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Agree..you did too much work and didnt need to take all that apart. -Shane

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
i agree, do it yourself. it's such an easy job and it's always good to get some hands on experience that way if you know anyone that needs their springs installed, you can make some money doing it for them.

btw, what springs do you plan on running? i have eibach prokit with the ISOs taken out of the front. definitely a good stance, plus good ride height for daily driving.

-Exact springs you have. Should I tell the shop to removes the ISO's from the front.

-thanks for the pics EVO and the write-up I just have no time right now for a weekend project. I know, terrible excuse.

Last edited:

jonv0305

Established Member
wish you lived in central florida, i would definitely do the job for you. but hell yeah, take them out of the front and leave the ones in the back if you want it to have a little rake in the front. but to be honest, im not sure the shop remove them because of some liability issue or something, idk. if you get them to keep them out then thats great, but if not then if you ever get a chance take them out yourself and make sure you wrap the top and bottom of the springs in electrical tape to keep them from creeking, thats all. ill try to post up pics late but like you, im also always busy lol

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
So whats the best way to install the front springs, is taking it apart like the pictures above not necessary, im going to do the install myself so whats some good advice, thanks.

jonv0305

Established Member
Installation of lowering springs - Mustang Forums at StangNet

ps, you don't need a spring compressor. as stated by EVO-lution, you can just use a jack with a small piece of wood on it and place it under the lug struts and lower it slowly so the spring doesnt shoot up in your face. then once its time to install the new springs, use the same method with the jack to raise the lower control arm. good luck!

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
First time I attempted a spring install I did all sorts of SHIT. After a few times and people telling me I learned the easier way. Dont waste your time with a spring compressor. Make sure you jack the front of the car up enough to lower the A arm enough to remove the spring. I doubt it will pop out at you no matter what you do, it simply isnt that easy to get out. I've always had to use a large screw driver to pry them out. Use some electrical tape on the isos before reinstalling them to help them stay in place. Just a few tips I learned.-Shane

EVO-lution

Established Member
no offense but it looks like you did it the hard way. i pulled the abs wires out of their holders, pulled top of shock out and it came right down. op i would say do it yourself. there a probably quite a few write ups to show you how to do it. and it will give you more confidence to do other mods.

yea but i didnt seperate the caster/camber plate thus leaving me not having to line that up. Each side took 20min. Once the ABS sensor was pulled and the 2 bolts holding the strut to the spindle were unbolted I just lowered it and the spring just fell out. when u remove it from the top u have to scribe the C/C plate and make sure u line it back up. I'm telling you this made it soooo much easier. all it was was 2 bolts. i didnt have to remove ANYTHING from the top. And my alignment was PERFECT. didnt need one till I did the MM C/C plates.

Users who are viewing this thread