Spring Install Help

97SVTStang

Established Member
Where can I find the correct tool to compress the front springs? Wen everywhere today trying to find the correct tool no one has it. Only place I didnt try is Napa and thats cause they where closed. Knowing my luck Napa is the only place thats going to have the one I need. Help me out guys.

Dino S.

Established Member
autozone had the ones i used.... they kinda suck and dont help much. the best thing to do is chain the springs to the frame and lower the suspension with a jack via the LCA's... in the rear, all you have to do is lower the jack and let the spring decompress themselves. You dont need spring compressors to install lowering springs, they should be short enough already.... good luck, and be careful!

97SVTStang

Established Member
Ya I know the rear ones you dont need to compress them. Now in the front I did manage to get one spring out but the springs I am putting in still need to be compressed to make em fit. I am putting the Eibach Drag Launch springs in I dont know if they really lower the car cause they are the exact same height as the stock springs. They better lower the car cause if not I am going to be extremely pissed off. Someone tell me now if they wont. The guys at the shop said they will lower it just as low as a pro kit will ( 1.5 I beleive). Did the guy at the shop tell me wrong. Someone tell me now before I install them.

Last edited:

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
You shouldn't need a compressor for the rear or front. The fronts can be pulled out by disconnecting the strut, brakes and the abs sensor. Lower the a-arm and stand out of the way. I used a prybar and they popped right out.

PowerCobra98

Yes, mine is better.
Established Member
If you can get your car high enough off the ground you don't need a compressor. The control arm will simply swing down more than enough to take the old ones out and put the new ones in.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by venomous
You shouldn't need a compressor for the rear or front. The fronts can be pulled out by disconnecting the strut, brakes and the abs sensor. Lower the a-arm and stand out of the way. I used a prybar and they popped right out.

that's what I did...just stand clear when using that pry bar...They go in even easier..remember to hang your calipers with a wire/string ...go down slowly with jack and watch out not to over stretch your brake lines.....also make sure that when putting in the new ones,you place the bottom of the spring in it's seat properly....good luck..:thumbsup:

montanagrog

Established Member
Yes, you should be able to install without the compressor, but if you chose as I do for the additional safety of a compressor, try to find the KD 'inner' compressor (about $45). It is a double hook at each end of the single center bolt. The edges of the main body of the hook part must be beveled to be able to pass thru the hole in the center of the control arm, as the compressor will have to be disassembled inside the spring then dropped out the hole. The center bolt will have to be cut down to fit inside the spring as to clear the upper spring pocket and the lower control arm pocket. Sorry, I lent mine out and can't give that lenght right now. OTC and a few others make a compressor that has 'slide in' spring seats but they are extremely hard to find as they are about $250-$300. OTC produces Ford's, to Ford's specs.

Lee

Established Member
I've been able to pop my Eibach Pro springs in and out without a spring compressor, just used a crow bar. I sprayed the spring bushings with WD40 to help slide them in the control arm pocket. But, if for some reason your aftermarket springs are about as long as the stock springs you'll need an "inside the spring" compressor. I rented mine from Napa.

Last edited:

94CobraPace

Established Member
Try this, remove the 2 inner A arm bolts for the front. That gives you more room for the longer drag springs. Here is a very good write up on how to remove the springs, it's from the Corral, scroll down to the author "MFE", that's how I did it and it work great with no prying of springs, which scares me. Clicky
Hope this helps

97SVTStang

Established Member
Ya I got em done. Being that I used the drag springs there was no way around using a compressor. Had to modify a tool from the auto parts store but its all good though they are in and so far me like :rockon: But I guess they real test is if I see a drop in my 60ft times. I will keep you all posted.

BOTLFED98

Established Member
no need for spring compressors....and that drag launch kit ain't gonna lower it either!

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Oh,and I also removed my front sway bar...made things a lil bit easier...An easy little self help step....

Users who are viewing this thread