Spring Install Question

Omidster

Established Member
Hello everyone, I know that this subject has been asked before; however, I've had a hard time finding an answer to it. I tried to install the new H&R sport spring on my car. On the MM instructions, it says that the TAIL END of the cat back needs to be removed, but AM's instructions says that only remove the exhaust from the hanger. My question is which one is the easiest?? I've rented the coil compressor, and had an extremely difficult time trying to get the H&R springs in (even when they were fully compressed), and eventually I gave up. It seemed like the lower control arm was not lowered enough to let enough room for the spring to "pop out" according to AM's instructions. Also would removing the cat back from its hangers lower the control arm??
I'd appreciate any help and advice on this question.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I have swapped out my springs may times and never had to touch the exhaust. Remove the bolt holding the parking brake cable bracket to lower control arm, both control arm to knuckle bolts, rear shock bolts and sway bar bolt/nut at the lower control arm. Un-do both sides and then try to remove the springs with the spindle/hub/brake assemlby as a unit pushed aside. What type of spring compressor are you using. A clamshell type works best.

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
The reason you have to remove the hangers, is if your dropping the irs, from the 2 irs bolts your tire may rub on. This is the easiest way. I used a spring compressor the first time, and never ever again. Just make sure no load is on those bolts, or just buy new ones, like I had too. American Muscle or you can look on here for better directions.

SLPRCTM

Established Member
I'm pretty sure its the Clamshell type. I rented it from Kragen. Do you use a compressor at all, every time you swap your springs?

Thank you

Depends on the over-all length of the spring. I have not had to use it on the rears once but I ended up cutting that set of springs too short for my taste. The last time I replaced all the springs, I had to use the compressor on all four springs. I decided to use the spring compressor over droping the exhaust because my exhaust is not fun to drop (full custom set-up), I own a compressor, and after installing a full IRS bushing kit, I don't want to drop the IRS again.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
what car are we talking about? IRS? If so, why use a spring compressor? It is SUPER easy to drop the IRS without removing too much. Spring swap should take a couple hours AT MOST for both front and rears.....done it a couple times and haven't used a compressor once.....

T-Pain808

I Love Asian Girls!!!
Established Member
Trust me, dont need a compressor, the fronts are a piece of cake, the backs are too. Just follow american muscles directions to a tee. If your droping your irs,which is the easiest way to go. Just remember to have those 2 bolts on hand, or make sure theirs no load on them, like my garage is unlevel. The treads will be messed up when they come out. For the hangers, some soap water works like a champ. And remember to lift the everything up from the irs when the springs are going back in. As the fronts, just make sure its high enough, I put my foot down on the control arm and they fallout. Its easier then it looks, Good luck.

Last edited:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Trust me, dont need a compressor, the fronts are a piece of cake, the backs are too. Just follow american muscles directions to a tee. If your droping your irs,which is the easiest way to go. Just remember to have those 2 bolts on hand, or make sure theirs no load on them, like my garage is unlevel. The treads will be messed up when they come out. For the hangers, some soap water works like a champ. And remember to lift the everything up from the irs when the springs are going back in. As the fronts, just make sure its high enough, I put my foot down on the control arm and they fallout. Its easier then it looks, Good luck.

please listen to T-Pain, this is the only way to go.

Omidster

Established Member
what car are we talking about? IRS? If so, why use a spring compressor? It is SUPER easy to drop the IRS without removing too much. Spring swap should take a couple hours AT MOST for both front and rears.....done it a couple times and haven't used a compressor once.....

My car is an 03 vert with the IRS. As far as being easy, thats what I thought and I hardly got one of the rear springs out (with a compressor), but when I tried to put the lowering spring in, there was no way I could fit it in with the isos attached. If DONE correctly, should the springs just come out easily or do I have to pry on them or even pull them out with pressure?
Thanks

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
My car is an 03 vert with the IRS. As far as being easy, thats what I thought and I hardly got one of the rear springs out (with a compressor), but when I tried to put the lowering spring in, there was no way I could fit it in with the isos attached. If DONE correctly, should the springs just come out easily or do I have to pry on them or even pull them out with pressure?
Thanks

i was always under the impression that the only correct way to do it was to drop the rear of the subframe (let it swing down, pivoting on the front subframe bolts)

at least that is how it is written in the factory service manual

no compressors needed, nor recommended.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Thanks

drop the IRS and the spring will literally fall out. Hold on a second...I did a write up for Hillarysnuts, now Jefe....I'll find you the link.

edit: Here you go! My write up is about half way down his first post:http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/how-230/626015-complete-how-cut-your-stock-springs-thread.html

Also, I said you needed a tie rod puller for the crown nut on the front spindle....well you don't. Flip the crown nut over and put it back on the top of the stud. Then hit it with a dead blow or hammer. It'll pop right off after a couple hits. Then remove the crown nut

Last edited:

Omidster

Established Member
I appreciate all the help and info guys. However, I removed the spindle/ shock bolt, the brake line bracket bolt (small bolt), and the IRS bolt; But the control arm still did not drop as much as the yellow Cobra in the " how to cut your stock springS" thread. The only thing I'm not sure about is the way I placed the Jack under the car, as I only used one Jack and two Jack stands for the rear. I placed the Jack under the control arm, closer to the rotor, and the two Jack stands right behind the full length subframe connectors.
Again, thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Jefe

Established Member
I appreciate all the help and info guys. However, I removed the spindle/ shock bolt, the brake line bracket bolt (small bolt), and the IRS bolt; But the control arm still did not drop as much as the yellow Cobra in the " how to cut your stock springS" thread.

Mine neither. So I used a crow bar to grab the spring and my feet to push the control arm as far down as possible and at the last second the spring fell out.

Last edited:

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I appreciate all the help and info guys. However, I removed the spindle/ shock bolt, the brake line bracket bolt (small bolt), and the IRS bolt; But the control arm still did not drop as much as the yellow Cobra in the " how to cut your stock springS" thread. The only thing I'm not sure about is the way I placed the Jack under the car, as I only used one Jack and two Jack stands for the rear. I placed the Jack under the control arm, closer to the rotor, and the two Jack stands right behind the full length subframe connectors.
Again, thanks for all the help.

You are attempting to do one side when you should be doing both at the same time. see below

Once you get the car up on stands,

support the pumpkin with light pressure
use a second jack to slightly lift control arm to release pressure
remove lower shock bolt
remove ABS bracket
Remove IRS bolt
lower secondary jack and do the same on the other side
Now slowly lower jack supporting pumpkin until the springs can be removed or fall out.

Install new springs and reverse steps above.

There is no need for a spring compressor at all on front or rear.

SpectorV

Established Member
the way I would do the rear is to remove the hangers so the exhaust can drop down. Put the frame on stands and then support the rear end and remove the back IRS bolts and slide the irs down (back bolts and shocks) and then the springs pop out.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
the way I would do the rear is to remove the hangers so the exhaust can drop down. Put the frame on stands and then support the rear end and remove the back IRS bolts and slide the irs down (back bolts and shocks) and then the springs pop out.

I forgot the exhaust hangers in the post above, but that is what I was saying as well.

Users who are viewing this thread