Spring maintenance

joker21705

Established Member
So i just bought my car late last year in August it has 38k on it and i am going to bring it to the shop to get some things done when the weather gets better but preparing now. Suspension wise the car is stock just has full exhaust, pulley , sub frame connectors. I am having all the fluids changed and putting some springs in to lower the car. My question is while the car is at the shop and the springs are out what do you guys recommend or what should i swap out or upgrade while i am having this done?
Only issues i have noticed is what i believe is the cobra clunk while driving when i let off the gas you hear clunk sometimes, and while pulling into a parking spot you will here some noise coming from the car.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Clunk you prolly need diff. Bushings and the thicker irs subframe bolts.

I'd go ahead and replace the outer tie rods, possibly ball joints and A-arm
Bushings while your in there. I lowered mine and did the outer tie rods. Now I'm tempted to do the Steeda x2 ball joints and some A-Arm bushings.

Why not try and do some of the work yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joker21705

Established Member
Clunk you prolly need diff. Bushings and the thicker irs subframe bolts.

I'd go ahead and replace the outer tie rods, possibly ball joints and A-arm
Bushings while your in there. I lowered mine and did the outer tie rods. Now I'm tempted to do the Steeda x2 ball joints and some A-Arm bushings.

Why not try and do some of the work yourself?

Thought about it but be quicker easier just to have a reputable shop i know do it that's familiar with these cars rather then spending all weekend doing it.
you have any links to refer to for bolts/bushings?

TP03

Established Member
At that mileage...time for intercooler pump and fuel filter.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Thought about it but be quicker easier just to have a reputable shop i know do it that's familiar with these cars rather then spending all weekend doing it.
you have any links to refer to for bolts/bushings?

I believe if you do a search you can actually go to a hardware store and buy the bolts 9/16 I think? I'll have to see if I can dig up a link. I used the MM diff bushing on mine. No hop or clunk anymore. You may as well do the FRPP cover while it's out.

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Open ended question lol depending on how deep you want to go. When i did my springs it turned into tie rods, ball joints, solid rack bushings, a arm bushings, camber plates, rotors & pads. I'm sure I'm missing something but you get the idea.....it never ends.

joker21705

Established Member
Open ended question lol depending on how deep you want to go. When i did my springs it turned into tie rods, ball joints, solid rack bushings, a arm bushings, camber plates, rotors & pads. I'm sure I'm missing something but you get the idea.....it never ends.
Lol sorta of i was just going to do springs and fix that clunk now i kind of have a list going
Mm camber plates
steeda ball joints
low profile subframe bolts
MM rear irs diff mounts
and thinking of just doing the FTB kit now ( Thanks Dip )
I'm pretty sure that's going to be it for the suspension atleast..........

Dip Dungles

Pew Pew
Established Member
Premium Member
Going to get expensive real quick. IRS upgrade requires a lot of hours. Get a bud to help over a few beers

I still cringe when I look at the invoice. Pay once cry once.

mark23svt

Established Member
I did the FTBR kit from MM basically which took away the clunk completely aswell as the fuel filter, rear pads, rear New oem shocks, Ford racing diff cover and new 4 wheel alignment.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Currently I have ftbr aluminum diff bushings and subframe bolts. I'd suggest getting those and Ford racing or LPW diff cover.

With that combo and a softer tire like r888's I have zero wheel hop.

joker21705

Established Member
Thanks for all the advice everyone pretty sure I know what I am doing now, I do have a question though what is this and why is it rubbing against my exhaust? My exhaust is crooked cause it it.
20170227_214102.jpg
20170227_214320.jpg
20170227_214221.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
That's an NVH weight Ford used to absorb vibrations caused by mismatched driveline angles. If you go with the FTBR kit it with fix these drivline angles and you won't need the weight.

Users who are viewing this thread