spring rates.

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
Just got my 2012 Boss a month ago and am ready to put my touches on it.

It sets too high in the rear, like a Shelby. I want to drop the rear without disturbing the way the car rides and handles.

Brembo50.com list the Boss rear springs having 186 lb/sq.in. I want to drop it an inch or so but keep that spring rate... :read:

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
I don't think anybody knows the true spring rates...if you do a little searching there is some controversy regarding the published spring rates on the Boss 302 specification page.

Grant808

Established Member

It sets too high in the rear, like a Shelby. I want to drop the rear without disturbing the way the car rides and handles.

Brembo50.com list the Boss rear springs having 186 lb/sq.in. I want to drop it an inch or so but keep that spring rate... :read:

Do it...or wait for me to get more Boss parts on my GT, which will keep the Brembo 5.0 rear springs on it.

LindsayEOD

Established Member
I called Sam Strano when I went to purchase new springs. I dont know if he's popular on here or not but he really helped me out. I ended up with Steeda Sports on mine.

BlackNDecker

Come at me bro!
Established Member
Yeah I called and spoke with Sam Strano several times and every conversation he had to completely dis the OEM Boss set up before we could transition the conversation to other things. He is in business to sell you stuff...take his input with a grain of salt.

cloud9

Established Member

I did a lot of research before tearing into my Boss suspension. I have been giving most everything but well driven Z06s and GT3RSs hell on track with the stock suspension so was very leery about messing with it. After doing a lot of research and talking through options with Mark Wilson from Ford Racing, I ended up with the 302S suspension, including the M-5300-P springs which lower the front another 1/2" and the rear 1". In my case I changed everything (Springs, Dampers, UCA, LCAs, LCA relo, sway bars, MM c/c plates and adj panhard bar.)

I did ask if the M-5300-P springs will work well with the stock dampers and he said yes. I think you'd still want an adj panhard bar to recenter your rear axle, and probably the LCA relo brackets to correct your LCA angle after lowering.

Here's a pic of how it sits with those springs and 19" wheels/tires:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

18" track wheels/tires:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

legos_mustang

Established Member
I ended up with the 302S suspension, including the M-5300-P springs which lower the front another 1/2" and the rear 1". In my case I changed everything (Springs, Dampers, UCA, LCAs, LCA relo, sway bars, MM c/c plates and adj panhard bar.)

Cloud9,

I actually wanted to look into the option of doing the same thing myself, but I've had trouble finding exactly what parts were used in the 302S. Most of the references I can find simply state things like "stiffer springs" or "revised dampers". Can you either post a list to include part numbers and where you were able to locate them, or if you don't want to fire it out to the universe, could you please PM me the data. "

Thanks!

cloud9

Established Member
Cloud9,

I actually wanted to look into the option of doing the same thing myself, but I've had trouble finding exactly what parts were used in the 302S. Most of the references I can find simply state things like "stiffer springs" or "revised dampers". Can you either post a list to include part numbers and where you were able to locate them, or if you don't want to fire it out to the universe, could you please PM me the data. "

Thanks!
No problem, here you go:
Boss 302S suspension parts list:
FRPP 302S Rear LCAs M-5649-S
FRPP Rear LCA relo brackets M-5650-A
FRPP Lowering Springs M-5300-P
FRPP Dampers M-18000-C
FRPP Adj panhard bar M-4264-A
FRPP Jounce Bumpers M-5570-A
FRPP Swaybars M-5490-A
Steeda Competition 3rd link 555-4106
Steeda Spherical Bearing 555-4104

The Boss 302 actually uses a modified stock 3rd link from Multimatic because they're not allowed to run an adjustable UCA in their race series. No reason to order it if you're not racing since it's double the cost of the adjustable Steeda unit and non-adjustable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread