Spring Selection Help

Rotzs99

Established Member
Alright I'll put a disclaimer up first.

I have a 2001 cobra coupe, only mods are 3.73 gears, x and catback, and MMFLSFC.

I'm trying to keep the car fairly stock as I wan't to start tracking with a blank slate and I know car > me.

My shocks are wearing down fast and I have a set of low mile 04 bilsteins ready to go. I'm thinking H&R race springs, but what are good springs to match to the shocks. (everything always has to match). I plan on going to a few HPDE days this year. I've had Eibach pros before, but I thought they were way too bouncy and made my car scrape. Another reason I'm forced to get springs is that my alignment is off now and I before I get it aligned I might as well put springs and shocks in it.

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
I'm on H&R Race with Super Race going in the rear for the T/A. Running Bilstein HDs. I really like this set up so far.

Are you looking to run with NASA RM? As long as work doesn't conflict, I'll be at PPIR April 6-7.

Rotzs99

Established Member
Yeah I'll be with NASA RM. Funds will be limited most likely, but I want to try the first Pueblo date and then a HPR date at least.

wheelhopper

Established Member
If your car was bouncing with any springs it is not due the springs. More than likely your shocks/struts are bad.

The H&R Race springs will work great with the HD Bilsteins. However, if you get real serious with the car you won't find any front and rear spring combo that is sold together off the shelf and your H&R race won't be optimum for a serious track car. I have been running an IRS Mustang for 6 years now. I run H&R super race in the front and race in the rear with Koni DA front and Bilsteins rear. Koni SA will soon be in the rear.

Rotzs99

Established Member
If your car was bouncing with any springs it is not due the springs. More than likely your shocks/struts are bad.

The H&R Race springs will work great with the HD Bilsteins. However, if you get real serious with the car you won't find any front and rear spring combo that is sold together off the shelf and your H&R race won't be optimum for a serious track car. I have been running an IRS Mustang for 6 years now. I run H&R super race in the front and race in the rear with Koni DA front and Bilsteins rear. Koni SA will soon be in the rear.

Car that bounced was a 40k mile cobra. Hope it wasn't the shocks. Anyway, I realize springs will be a temporary thing. In the future I'll most likely revalve the bilsteins and groove them for coilovers. It sounds like the race springs will be a good starter.

Cool - I'll look for your car. Pueblo's my favorite.

Awesome, white 01 Cobra, I'll probably be looking lost. Never been to Pueblo so it should be fun. I spectated a few days at HPR.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
do you know the spring rates you have been using? the brand of spring isnt as important as the proper spring rates. might be that the bouncing was because either you were too soft if the car was compressing too much or too stiff if the car was bouncing over bumps.

Rotzs99

Established Member
I have stock springs now, but with my 99 I had eibach pro-kits. I thought the car compressed too much. It was after dips that the car would scrape. It was never a continual bucking (shocks) like my explorer does. Same compression with the stock springs now. Maybe I dont need shocks now, but ive already got a set of 04 bils I picked up cheap.

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
if your shocks are adjustable, you had too much compression in them. if not your springs rates sounded too soft.

Users who are viewing this thread