Springs/Isolators - which way up?

hmwave

Established Member
Have a set of Eibach Pro's and MM urethane isolators that I'll fit in the next couple of weeks.
However it's not clear to me which way up the springs go and which isolators go at the top and the bottom. Suppose I'll find out when I replace them by inspecting the OEM parts but wanted to check here first.

The front springs have one end with the coil 'flattened' down, the other end with the coil 'wire' ending at full diameter.
Which end is the lower end?

The front MM isolator pack has two round isolators and two long tubes. Do the Isolators fit at the top or the bottom of the spring?
And what are the long tubes for?

The rear springs don't have a flattened end as both coils are full width 'wire' at the ends. However the coil at one end appears to be coiled closer to the next coil down than at the other end. Is that significant?

The MM rear isolator pack has four isolators, two molded with a 'spiral groove' to fit the coil end, and two circular with a shoulder and no groove.
I think the 'grooved' isolators fit the lower end of the spring and the 'non-molded' fit the top. Is that right?

I'm sure this is straighforward for those in the know but given there are a number of combinations here I want to make sure I do this right the first time!

MrDrezzUp

Established Member
Originally posted by hmwave
Have a set of Eibach Pro's and MM urethane isolators that I'll fit in the next couple of weeks.
However it's not clear to me which way up the springs go and which isolators go at the top and the bottom. Suppose I'll find out when I replace them by inspecting the OEM parts but wanted to check here first.

The front springs have one end with the coil 'flattened' down, the other end with the coil 'wire' ending at full diameter.
Which end is the lower end?

The front MM isolator pack has two round isolators and two long tubes. Do the Isolators fit at the top or the bottom of the spring?
And what are the long tubes for?

The rear springs don't have a flattened end as both coils are full width 'wire' at the ends. However the coil at one end appears to be coiled closer to the next coil down than at the other end. Is that significant?

The MM rear isolator pack has four isolators, two molded with a 'spiral groove' to fit the coil end, and two circular with a shoulder and no groove.
I think the 'grooved' isolators fit the lower end of the spring and the 'non-molded' fit the top. Is that right?

I'm sure this is straighforward for those in the know but given there are a number of combinations here I want to make sure I do this right the first time!

It has been over 6 months since I installed my HR springs and spring isolators. Please verify everything I am about to state with someone who has a better memory then me. :-D

On my car ('94 vert GT), the OEM isolators did not give too much of an idea as to how the new setup should be configured.

For the front the "flat" part of the spring is the top and receives the doughnut-looking isolator. The long tubes are for the bottom of the front springs. They slide onto the bottom of the front springs. You feed the spring into the tube and work the tube until it is onto the spring. When you install the front springs look for a hole in the piece of metal the front springs will sit on, and make sure the bottom of the front spring ("coil wire") does not cover this hole. Place the bottom of the "coil wire" so that it is about an inch from the hole (and not covering the hole).

The back springs are to be turned so many degrees as to face in a certain direction. I can't remember much more than that but I know where the Mustang "guide" I used for instructions is, so if no one else responds with the correct answer let me know and I will be happy to look it up for you. :)

hmwave

Established Member
Originally posted by grnenvy
I'm not trying to be an ass hole but if you can't figure that out don't even try to do the springs. Good luck

Not an asshole but no thanks for the defeatist attitude.
Better to ask than learn from mistakes.

Users who are viewing this thread