Spun Bearing - What do to . . .

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
Hey MACA Peeps,

Trying to figure out my options. I have an 01 with what the Ford Dealer has diagnosed as a spun main bearing on #6. (It would make a slight ticking noise after heating up but otherwise was fine). I have no reason not to believe them. The motor is pulled with the heads and intake removed and sitting in my shed.

Do I sell the car as-is as a roller (motor and all) and start over.

or

Do I send the short block to a machine shop and reassemble and get it back on the road?
- What machine shop does the MACA recommend (I'm in Silv Spr)
- Should I attempt to reassemble the motor myself or have someone who has done it before do it?

or

Do I buy a re-manufactured short block and reassemble?
- Where do I get a short block? (every time I find one on the boards its already sold).

:shrug:

Any input would be greatly appreciated. :beer:

-Mike

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
Ouch, Mike. That stinks.
How much do you love the car? WOuld you miss it if it went away? Can you replace it with another?
I know with mine I'd look at repair/replace. I don't know which, but I'd sure count my pennies and look at a Cammer. :bowdown:

TRBO VNM

rebuild it.

I really like Mike at L&M Engines in Pa. great guy and has been doing motors for 20+ or maybe 30+ yrs. He does Evolutions motors, Jon Lunds motors, did Dales motor and some others. Really good guy and will spend the time explaining things to you and stands behind his work.

oh yeah, he doesn't take forever like some other builders that I know people have experienced.

04yellowcobra

Established Member
You are going to get a wake up call when you find out how much it is to rebuild a 4.6. You will have 1/2 to 2/3rds the value of the car in the motor rebuild. good luck with it.

JRS BLOWN SNAKE

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Mike,

You can get a Ford reman long block with a 3yr/36K mile warranty for around $3,500.00 right through one of the Ford sponsor dealerships on this site. Just tell them it's for a NA application, not forced induction. That will get you a 03/04 Cobra crank, rods and pistons.

It will not be a "built" motor, but would be basically a stock replacement. Could be turned around in a couple days and have ya back on the road.

At that point you could either enjoy the car or sell it with a Ford warrantied motor. You'd be better off putting a stock motor (economically) back in the car and selling it, than as a roller. IMO..

I went 10.0's at 25 psi with a 2.3 Whipple, full weight IRS Cobra with one of these reman motors.... Just sayin'..... !!

Good luck with your decision,

J.R.

Last edited:

DonkeyTuna

Idn't dat sump'n!
Established Member
Its good to hear from you guys, thanks a million for the input! Depending on Scott's Ghetto Garage availability, I'm leaning towards stock rebuild at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread