Spun bearing!

Charizard

Established Member
96 cobra spun bearing. I didn't drive it all week, go for a drive and at 35 hit a massive hole in the road and it instantly started making the knocking noise.
Car has 98K miles on it, stock everything apart from bolt ons.

Mechanic confirms something is wrong, maybe bent a wrist pin or something.
I'm just glad it didn't happen at speed and grenade.

What would you advise I do? I live in an urban environ so no way to do any work myself. Think NYC. No garage, no shed. Just a to story walk up.

1. Get a long block from where, and can I get a teksid one?
2. Send entire engine to someone (and who?)

The only performance place near me I know of is JDM in central NJ and
Promar rebuilding who is a city over. They have a page about them rebuilding rare and collectible engines, they also sell rebuilt performance blocks but no teksid blocks.

Bit upset as I finally had cash saved for this semester and now this.

Charizard

Established Member
Wait you hit a hole and spun a bearing? Wtf

It's not suspension. In any gear, give it some gas and it makes a knocking sound, it's def something bad and dealing with the rotating assembly. :-(
My friend is putting it up on the lift for me this week.

I was doing 35 mph in thick NJ traffic. I was in the middle of shifting and I went into this huge pothole more like a crater, it was so bad I was sure I had broken an engine mount or bent something.
I thought it was the trans, or a bent shaft, or something bent but it does the noise in neutral.

I'll know for sure tomorrow as the pan is coming off. Maybe it's a bent wrist pin or something else broke and there's metal shavings in the bearing.
Maybe I had a building situation and the impact just finished the deal. Either way, It's at the worst time too.

Whatever the reason, now I have to deal with it.

I def want to know what is wrong before spending money.

Last edited:

4valved

Banned
Well just be sure to check it thoroughly because that just doesnt make an ounce of sense.

IF you do have to replace the motor get a reman longblock

Charizard

Established Member
Well just be sure to check it thoroughly because that just doesnt make an ounce of sense.

IF you do have to replace the motor get a reman longblock

I wish it did make sense. I am pretty religious with my car. I've been racking my brain to
think what could break or bend in an impact like that that would make the noise.

I can't seem to find a teksid longblock though. Just iron.

Last edited:

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
did you dent the oil pan? Maybe the oil pickup is restricted and starved the motor for oil.

Charizard

Established Member
I don't know, I have to wait until it's up on a lift.
I have been unable to look under the car.

I drove it the mile home at 15mph and then had it flatbeded to the shop.

My pal has bigger money waiting to be done than me, so that means I have to wait until he has time.

Charizard

Established Member
^ I pray to God that is the case.

I've been out of work for 6 months. Feels bad man.

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Sorry to hear that man. I hope it's nothing serious. A few weeks ago I was making a turn in a big four way stop in a city I'm not too familiar with and hit a pothole so big I almost shit myself after I came back down in my seat. It was big enough that it made my check engine light come on so I pulled over and checked it out but all seemed well. Scary stuff

Users who are viewing this thread