Sputter/hesitation under heavy acceleration?

USMC-2-USN

Established Member
I have a early build 03 cobra with the K&N FIPK and magnaflow exhaust (as seen in sig). so no tuning other than the PCM reprogramming they did when i brought in for head replacement

I have been burned by traction control before so i know what it feels like when that kicks in. when my TC is off and i redline 2nd or 3rd and go into the next gear it will kinda sputter or hesitate for a second and then get back into it

I have heard they changed plugs between 1st ands 2nd run 03s...or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance

Bryan

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
That is normal. The only way to cure that is powershifting. I had the same hesitation trying to shift fast @ high RPMs

04-MystiChrome

One Fast Grand-PaPi
Established Member
Originally posted by Juiced46
That is normal. The only way to cure that is powershifting. I had the same hesitation trying to shift fast @ high RPMs

He could also try the boost bypass mod which corrects for
boost hesitation dump inbetween shifts

mp3stang

Established Member
The same thing happens to me when I load my Apten tune. I put my stock tune back on because I cannot stand the hesitation.

Tambini

Established Member
Originally posted by 03Cobra_Poison
does power shifting rememdy it? and what exactly is a pwer shift?:??:

not sure if its a remedy but all a power shift is is once you launch keep your foot to the floor and dont let off the gas untill you cross the finish line.

PhillyCobra

Established Member
Hesitation can be from both boost dump and/or computer retarding timing (AKA torque management) when throttle is suddenly closed at high revs. Powershifting, without lifting off throttle, tends to avoid both of these issues. Be sure you don't hit the rev limiter though (will definitely trigger timing retardation and boost dump), meaning you have to start shift way before redline (say about 6000 revs).

Torque management can be taken out of aftermarket program. Boost bypass, despite what you may read, will not be totally removed by aftermarket program during rapid throttle closing at high revs, unless you physically modify the bypass valve.

USMC-2-USN

Established Member
thanks for the response guys. My friend has a pullied 03 and has the same thing happening to him. I find if i am a little slower on the stick ot if i shift a bit sooner it is not an issue. I guess just something we have to live with!

Slower on the stick is not easier with my new TRI-AX i just got done installing!

Thanks guys

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
i wouldnt recommend the boost bypass unless you are just going to use it at the track . I did the boost bypass and still had the hesitation. Only remedy for me was to power shift. @ the track with the stock shifter i powershifted @6400 RPMS never hit the limiter once. Powershifting will wear your tranny and clutch much faster, but that is a risk i will take to go fast. I drive my car like an animal :)

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Just another opinion.
Its fuel starvation due to a drop in voltage to the fuel pumps between shifts when you take your foot off the gas, if you leave your foot on the gas {powershift}{ruff on tranny} the voltage does not drop, but it does lean out {not good} if you bump off the limiter..
My 2 cents,
Lin

8UR VETT

Established Member
i heard the problem is when you bounce off of the rev limiter that your blower kicks all the boost out, and has to regain the boost . So thats why when you shift earlier it doesnt do it.

Users who are viewing this thread