Sputtering and hesitation help!!

pbdrew15

Established Member
Alright everyone im looking for some help here! The thing that started this whole problem were codes p0171 and 0174. Lean for bank 1 and 2. This is on a 97 cobra. Had a ford dealer diagnose the problem and said it was leaking intake manifold gaskets. Ordered them up, installed them and.... still the same poor running and car performance!! As of now haven't gotten any codes! Symptoms: At idle spontaneously has a looping kind of chu chug, chu chug, affect. Revs smoothly sometimes and other times has hesitation and bogs down then will catch and rev. While driving has very poor acceleration poor throttle response. The pedal is pushed but its like there is a long delay car just bogs then will spuuter then catch and accelerate. Its an intermittent kind of problem. As of now plugs are new NGK TR5's gaped at .050, brand new coils, New TPS, new IAC, new MAF Sensor in a C&L Housing, and was told it has a new EGR as well but not sure. And of course the new intake manifold gaskets all of them. What could the problem be!! Dealer checked fuel pressure said that was fine. Bad injectors? camshaft sensor? what!! I need some type of input!! I appreciate it all!

SmokenGRA03

SmokEater "LIVE STRONG"
Established Member
Check the FPDM, the FRPS, Fuel filter and MAF. What mod did you do last before your car started to act this way? Did you install the C&L Housing then the car started to act this way? Retrace your steps.
Hope this helps
Ronnie

pbdrew15

Established Member
FPDM?? FRPS?? Can you explain these to me? And I boutght the car running with no noticable problems did no mods myself just with what it has. Drove about 1000 miles before noticing anything.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
FPDM?? FRPS?? Can you explain these to me? And I boutght the car running with no noticable problems did no mods myself just with what it has. Drove about 1000 miles before noticing anything.

It can't be either of those as the car has a return style system in it. So there is no FPDM or FRPS in the car. Ronnie probably had a looooong day and didn't realize that. LOL

Anyways,
I'm really not sure what the problem can be. A lean code like that means that you're lean more than 15% or more on either side. Maybe try changing out your 02 sensors as that could definitely effect the way the car runs.

Hope that helps.

Jared

pbdrew15

Established Member
Yea everyone is saying try the stock housing. I just dont know why it would work with the C&L for all this time even from where I bought it to the higer elevation where im at. Why all a sudden would the C&L be the problem?

pbdrew15

Established Member
Do you really think that the stock maf will fix it? Its had the C&L on there for weeks since ive owned it and no problems. Why all of a sudden?

EX1

Established Member
a clogged fuel filter can cause the throttle surge you are describing. When was the last time it was changed?

pbdrew15

Established Member
Previous owner said he did it a few months ago but other then that I couldnt tell you!! Ill prob just change it anyways. The dealer tried to diagnose the problem and said it had good pressure so I would think if the filter was the cause then pressure would drop?

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
fuel filter was done about 5 months ago......wouldnt expect it to be dirty but hell swap the 10 part for a piece of mind.

pbdrew15

Established Member
Yea ill prob do that. Its an easy to swap part. Just really frustrating me!!! grrrr! I wish I knew if it had any tune or anything of that nature! If you know anything else let me know Robert. Im not saying you know or knew when you sold it. I just want to get it back to normal!!! help me out if you can. Thanks to all

00slvrL

RIP 05.18.2013
Established Member
I wish it wasnt giving you hell, it never had the systems you are having now, the lean codes i was getting i figured was from that bypass hose on the bbk intake continoulsly popping off.......which in turn was the intake gasket.
Other then that i had a smog pump issue until it was unplugged.
The car was a stong runner, its going to be small and simple.......problem is just finding the culprit.
The car was never tuned during my ownership, i cant speak for prior owner.
I also did none of the mods.
What i did was oil changes
seafoam treatment
plugs
fuel filter
new egr
new iac
1 o2 sensor, should be one of the fronts, the 2 rears have the mil eliminators, im no expert on these so any input from other may be helpful.
Good

pbdrew15

Established Member
Thanks Robert for the guidance. Man its like a thorn in my shoe! Cant even drive it o work let alone out the garage!

pbdrew15

Established Member
Alright as I dont have a stock MAF housing its hard to tell if switching back would help. I would have to go buy a new one at 120 bucks. As of tonight I checked injector ohms and nothing wrong there. Checked coil ohms primary and secondary and no probs there. TPS is a new unit from advance but I occasionally get a hanging idle or surging type idle. Car started up tonight!! I drove it prob 15 miles through town traffic. No codes or cel light on. Ran fine no hesitation or sputtering like it was, but battery seems to not hold a charge. Was at Wendys drive through and car was idling then straight died! Had to get a jump. On the three min drive back home car sputtered and hesitated for a split second two times but then not again. So maybe just a symptom from the battery wanting to kill the car? Also checked for any leaks with the starter fluid spray test and didnt seem to get any rises in idle! So no CEL light or leaks it seems! Car shutting off is odd though?

b00stin

Established Member
is the battery not holding a charge or is your alternator going out? did u try charging your battery with a charger? with vehicle running, with a voltmeter check voltage at the battery should be above 13.xx volts if alternator is charging

Last edited:

pbdrew15

Established Member
Yes battery wasnt holding a charge. Mainly just because it sat in the garage for almost two weeks not hooked up to a chrger or being ran in the car. It was so dead that even the five ten min drive wasnt enough to keep it up. So had it charged last night, it checked good for no problems and seems to be working great now. Also switched my C&L MAF setup to a stock 03 cobra MAF housing and sensor. Car seems to be smoother and not as rough. So ill be driving it all over town tonight to check it out.

pbdrew15

Established Member
Well good news is the car is running great now! Bad news is the codes for bank one and two are back on!! p0171 and p0174. Im so confused

Users who are viewing this thread