Spy Shots—’19 Dodge Charger Scat Pack Undisguised

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

While i agree a bump in power is never a bad thing, i think they’re still holding their own even against the latest and greatest 5.Bros.

Funny to see all the good comments. Most around here clowned it when this design was first released calling it a baby dart.
Can you imagine what a RWD Hellcat Dart would do? It would be an in house Demon killer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
The 6.4 Hemi/8 speed combo is outstanding for the money. Budget in Omaha rents both the Mustang GT and the Challenger R/T Scat Pack. Never thought I'd see the day you could rent a car with almost 500 hp for $300/week. Although you do have to sign a tire damage waiver:p Last time I rented one it was Orange, so couldn't help myself.
GeneralLeeRental_zps1z1vmsns.jpg

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
The Scat is the better performance per dollar car in both the challenger and charger than the SRT variant. The ONLY thing I miss is the better wheels and tires. But that can be remedied for much less than the cost difference. Not to mention you can get the Dynamics package on the scat that comes with the brakes and tires same as the HC. The SRT392 cars should have been discontinued in 2014 when the SCAT an HC got redesigned.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
The 6.4 Hemi/8 speed combo is outstanding for the money. Budget in Omaha rents both the Mustang GT and the Challenger R/T Scat Pack. Never thought I'd see the day you could rent a car with almost 500 hp for $300/week. Although you do have to sign a tire damage waiver:p Last time I rented one it was Orange, so couldn't help myself.
View attachment 1495510
How do you like the Challenger?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
How do you like the Challenger?
Overall I loved the car. Definitely needs more tire (stock is 245/45's), and the rental cars don't come with any sort of premium rubber. Wants to go sideways with any sort of aggressive throttle but it's very controllable. With the 6.4 it felt faster than the last 2017 Mustang I rented. Way more interior and trunk room than either the new Mustang or Camaro. Handles okay but not great. EVERYONE comments on the car.

Basically if I just wanted a fun road trip car and didn't do track days this (or a Hellcat) would be it.

GotGrunt

Established Member
The Scat is the better performance per dollar car in both the challenger and charger than the SRT variant. The ONLY thing I miss is the better wheels and tires. But that can be remedied for much less than the cost difference. Not to mention you can get the Dynamics package on the scat that comes with the brakes and tires same as the HC. The SRT392 cars should have been discontinued in 2014 when the SCAT an HC got redesigned.

The Scat pack is essentially a 2014 SRT carried over as a no frills way to get a 392. There was no dynamics package offered in 15/16 so you were stuck with the smaller brakes and skinny wheels & tires. The Scat pack also doesn’t come with leather interior, HID headlights, or remote start as standard equipment, and no way to get the premium laguna leather interior in the SP. The 3 mode SRT suspension is a big plus. It also has a lot of little differences in the interior; a thick flat bottom steering wheel, different seat cover design, red start button, different gauge layout, SRT performance pages, track mode, etc. You also get a track day at Bondurant with the purchase of an SRT similar to the track attack offered with the Boss 302 & GT350. Like someone else mentioned, the SP is like an LX fox body, great entry level value but once you start optioning it up equal to the standard features on the SRT, the price gap closes real fast.

GotGrunt

Established Member
As mentioned, Dodge really beat the ever living shit out of all their models. Most can be nearly identical depending on the options.

That is very true. Now you can get a 5.7 RT with the “super track pak” option which gives you the SP/SRT body, everything minus the spoiler & wheels.

The Daytona comes with the dynamics package as a standard option, which is optional for the Scat Packs, that includes the 6 piston Brembo brakes and 9" rims instead of 8" on the non dynamics Scat Packs.

That’s only on the Daytona 392. The 5.7 Daytona has the base RT brakes with the optional SP forged wheels.

BTW, the Scat pack has 9” wheels (both the standard and forged variants) while the SRT, Daytona, & dynamics SP cars have 9.5” :)

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
So, does any of the info you guys have been giving also mean that the SRT 392 Durango is the "real deal"? It's not "just" a V8 Durango with a badge on the fender?

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
So, does any of the info you guys have been giving also mean that the SRT 392 Durango is the "real deal"? It's not "just" a V8 Durango with a badge on the fender?
Also gets the 6.4l V8’s as opposed to the 5.7, suspension, exhaust and Brembo’s if I remember correctly. In addition to a new hood, front bumper etc...

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member

475 hp, 15" 6-piston Brembo's, Bilstein ADS shocks, 12.9 in the quarter. Doesn't suck.

Is expensive though.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
The Scat pack is essentially a 2014 SRT carried over as a no frills way to get a 392. There was no dynamics package offered in 15/16 so you were stuck with the smaller brakes and skinny wheels & tires. The Scat pack also doesn’t come with leather interior, HID headlights, or remote start as standard equipment, and no way to get the premium laguna leather interior in the SP. The 3 mode SRT suspension is a big plus. It also has a lot of little differences in the interior; a thick flat bottom steering wheel, different seat cover design, red start button, different gauge layout, SRT performance pages, track mode, etc. You also get a track day at Bondurant with the purchase of an SRT similar to the track attack offered with the Boss 302 & GT350. Like someone else mentioned, the SP is like an LX fox body, great entry level value but once you start optioning it up equal to the standard features on the SRT, the price gap closes real fast.
I actually own a 2017 Scat. My car is not a base base car. It has everything but the tech package. So I have suede everything, nav, moon roof, A8 and so on. I also have heated and cooled seats. The SCAT comes with more than a base SXT. You are really missing the wheels and tires. There is not much else you cant get in the scat but like you said, the laguna leather. And my car was $47k sticker compared to a similarly equiped SRT which was close to $55k. For $8k you could get some badass brakes, wheels and tires and then some. I do wish I had the SRT hood though. But I love my scat. I DD it about 60 miles a day. In all weather but snow. The car is comfortable and fast. Much better than the 17 Mustang GT auto i had. More room and more power plus like said above, everyone snaps their necks looking and starting convos on it when I stop for gas. The mustang never got a second look. Now if I could get a HC, I'd do it in a second. This car with 220 more HP would be a blast.

GotGrunt

Established Member
I actually own a 2017 Scat. My car is not a base base car. It has everything but the tech package. So I have suede everything, nav, moon roof, A8 and so on. I also have heated and cooled seats. The SCAT comes with more than a base SXT. You are really missing the wheels and tires. There is not much else you cant get in the scat but like you said, the laguna leather. And my car was $47k sticker compared to a similarly equiped SRT which was close to $55k. For $8k you could get some badass brakes, wheels and tires and then some. I do wish I had the SRT hood though. But I love my scat. I DD it about 60 miles a day. In all weather but snow. The car is comfortable and fast. Much better than the 17 Mustang GT auto i had. More room and more power plus like said above, everyone snaps their necks looking and starting convos on it when I stop for gas. The mustang never got a second look. Now if I could get a HC, I'd do it in a second. This car with 220 more HP would be a blast.

I have a Charger SRT 392, this is why I know all the little differences between the models. I started out looking for a Scat but then ended up buying an SRT because I wanted certain things that were either not available on the Scat or were only included on the Scat with bigger option packages, which I didn’t want. Now that you mention it, I forgot about nav in my previous post... that’s standard on the SRT as well. Laguna leather is also standard on the SRT but you have the option to switch to the suede at no cost if you choose to do so. Alpine premium sound system is also standard on the SRT. FWIW, the dynamics package is a bargain @ $2,200 but if you calculate that into the price of your SP you’re very close to “base” SRT pricing, which has everything you mentioned and then some. The price difference is around $3-4K similarly equipped.

That being said, you can also look at it from the resale standpoint; the SP is an option on the RT where the SRT is it’s own stand alone model. The SRT will hold its value better than an RT and you will get that $3-4K back if you end up selling it down the road.

Don’t get me wrong, they are both great cars and overall very similar. The SRT is the lowest production between the 3 variants (SP, SRT, Hellcat) but they do sell enough of them per year to warrant keeping them in production. IMHO, the Scat pack was targeted for the no frills no options go as fast as possible for $40k crowd. The Hellcat is for the guys that want 700+ horsepower. The SRT 392 is the middle child, most often overlooked :D

Last edited:

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Overall I loved the car. Definitely needs more tire (stock is 245/45's), and the rental cars don't come with any sort of premium rubber. Wants to go sideways with any sort of aggressive throttle but it's very controllable. With the 6.4 it felt faster than the last 2017 Mustang I rented. Way more interior and trunk room than either the new Mustang or Camaro. Handles okay but not great. EVERYONE comments on the car.

Basically if I just wanted a fun road trip car and didn't do track days this (or a Hellcat) would be it.
Awesome man. Thanks for your input!

kidds302

Established Member

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
wow i had no idea the scat couldnt hold any boost.... out by me there are multiple s197s on 10-13 psi

The 6.4 hypereutectic piston has a very narrow top ring land and therefore doesn't tolerate boost well. The 6.2L Hellcat piston has considerably more meat above the ring land. Plus it's forged of course.

Users who are viewing this thread