Spy Shots—2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Diesel

M91196

Established Member
Im not necessarily in the market for a Diesel. Even though they feature Cummins engines, Ive always been hesitant about looking at a Ram because, well, Chrysler LLC. Electrical and transmission nightmare etc.

How have they done as the years have gone by as far as reliability and quality in their trucks? I wont even think of a Dodge or Chrysler car.
FYI 1500 doesn't use a Cummins, it's VM motori I believe. Gale Banks did have some involvement, and I guess they are doing OK so far but will they be 300K engines?

bglf83

Established Member
This. I don't really understand it, especially for Ford with the EB engines. I don't see a small diesel gaining enough in economy or power over the EB engines to justify its cost, especially when you throw in the reliability issues of diesel emissions. Nissan has proven that a medium sized diesel in a 1/2 ton'ish truck basically gives you the worst of all worlds too (less capability than a 3/4 ton, but with all the expense of one).
Nissan miss understood the market. The did not need a 5l diesel, they should have kept it smaller.

The truck cannot properly utilize the power and the mileage sucks. Really worst of all world's for that.

I have the 2.8 in our GMC Canyon and have an average fuel usage of 29mpg over a 4k mile average. Truck has lots of power and gets great mileage.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Im not necessarily in the market for a Diesel. Even though they feature Cummins engines, Ive always been hesitant about looking at a Ram because, well, Chrysler LLC. Electrical and transmission nightmare etc.

How have they done as the years have gone by as far as reliability and quality in their trucks? I wont even think of a Dodge or Chrysler car.

The same can be said about any car maker. My 05 has 172000 on it and is 13 years old and I finally had to spend $$ on it fixing the A/C that sprung a leak.
She tows 14,000+ fairly often.
The Ram 1500 diesel is not a cummins and so far the problems have been few from my research.

I have family with Rams also that have no issues.
To be honest I've had more issues with the Fords I've owned over the Chrysler products and even more issues out of the 2 Corvette's we've owned.

DropSVT

Established Member
Diesel on a 1500 why do u need torque if u can't even put more than 2500lbs on the back of the truck to begin with...

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Dusten

Established Member
Diesel on a 1500 why do u need torque if u can't even put more than 2500lbs on the back of the truck to begin with...

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Mpgs man. The diesel half ton dodge doesn't even tow as much as the gasser, but it gets 30+

DropSVT

Established Member
Mpgs man. The diesel half ton dodge doesn't even tow as much as the gasser, but it gets 30+

Sooooo why not buy a Prius again? Oh because I got a small wiener and want a truck especially a chevy
Edit: Toyota pickups are a fraction of the price and get better gas mileage as well

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Sooooo why not buy a Prius again? Oh because I got a small wiener and want a truck especially a chevy
Edit: Toyota pickups are a fraction of the price and get better gas mileage as well

Because a prius is impractical for towing a car to the track, taking a couple dirt bikes out to the trails, or going to home depot.

bglf83

Established Member
30 mpg at 75mph. That 24 number is at 60. Gas vehicles never get the highway number at 75.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Dusten

Established Member

Because a truck is useful in many ways. The half ton diesel truck tow my dump trailer, lightning, go camping, or just make around town runs. And gets much better fuel mileage than any other half ton on the market.
Idk call me old school I guess for thinking a useless truck is just that

How's it useless?

Users who are viewing this thread