Squeaking from under the hood while cold.

Mowgli

Established Member
Was wondering if anyone else who's done the hood mod has run into this:

I am getting a squeak from in front of the engine while cold. ONce the engine warms up to full operating temp then it goes away.

It doesn't sound like your typical loose belt, more like a squeaking pulley axle, but its damn hard to locate, but most likely coming from driver side. Can't hear it at idle, you need to rev it up to 2k or more to hear it. Only until the engine warms up, then its gone. Its a percussive squeak more than a constant squeal like from a loose belt. It varies with rpm.

Wondering if the excessive rain we've had here (and alot of washing I do) could be contributing to or be the cause of this.

Also, any remedies are appreciated that don't involve a waste of a trip to my incompetent dealer techs.

The belts seem to be in good shape, and tight. The engine is at 11k miles.

Thoughts?

Mowgli

Established Member
Thanks. What would you say is the best way or product to clean them?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
This may be a first! You may have actually worn out a belt. Why not try replacing the outer one, if you haven't recently. Hope it's not the inner belt. Good Luck if it is.

I don't know what the life expectancy of the S/C belt is, but it can't be too great, and the alternator is on it too, which may be why it stops squeaking eventually.

Dana

03DOHC

Established Member
Assuming it's dirty I'd just replace the belt, then clean the pulley surfaces with brake clean.

You can give the inner and outer belt surfaces with brake clean, just give it a quick shot, and if the squeak/chirp stops that's the surface that's dirty/contaminated.

If it's the outer surface of the belt you can try to clean it, but it's kind of dangerous.:)

Users who are viewing this thread