Sra vs irs

jose21

Established Member
So I'm currently prepping the car for tx2k is it worth going sra or just build the irs. Car is used for roll racing, street, and drag.

mkb116

Established Member
Need a little more info. How serious are you about drag racing? What kind of power are you making? Do you care about the weight savings? Are you on a tighter budget?

The short of it is solid axles are more reliable, lighter, and cheaper to build to handle more power. If your not road racing or hard cornering when you take it out, I say get a solid axle. If you plan on breaking the 700 wheel mark, definitely go solid.

jose21

Established Member
Need a little more info. How serious are you about drag racing? What kind of power are you making? Do you care about the weight savings? Are you on a tighter budget?

The short of it is solid axles are more reliable, lighter, and cheaper to build to handle more power. If your not road racing or hard cornering when you take it out, I say get a solid axle. If you plan on breaking the 700 wheel mark, definitely go solid.

I'll be going to the track every once in a while. Don't really care about weight savings. As far as budget goes I'm like in between 2-3k and power wise build is not completely done but we're thinking it should be at 1000rwhp or near it.

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
The IRS use useless for your intended purpose. Remove it and build an SRA. It saves weight, handles the hp much better (trust me you don't want to break an axle doing 100+mph) and the suspension is much easier to setup for drag. There is zero reason to keep the IRS if your only goal is to go fast in a straight line and cruise.

Edit:
Cost wise it is the same price to modify an SRA as an IRS but you can support way more HP in the SRA.

My turbo drag car has spool, 35 spline, cover, 9 inch ends, brace, welded. Less than building an IRS with FTBR and pro axle from DSS.

Last edited:

jose21

Established Member
The IRS use useless for your intended purpose. Remove it and build an SRA. It saves weight, handles the hp much better (trust me you don't want to break an axle doing 100+mph) and the suspension is much easier to setup for drag. There is zero reason to keep the IRS if your only goal is to go fast in a straight line and cruise.

Edit:
Cost wise it is the same price to modify an SRA as an IRS but you can support way more HP in the SRA.

My turbo drag car has spool, 35 spline, cover, 9 inch ends, brace, welded. Less than building an IRS with FTBR and pro axle from DSS.
Thanks man this helps out alot I was afraid of doing 100+and breaking an axle that would be a really bad day

04cobra88

Established Member
I swaped from Irs To a built SRA I did the work myself so I saved alot there and it was easy ! Detroit true track , 373 gears Moser axles etc I'm in canada and cost me roughly 3k with the cost of the rear ! Only thing I miss is a bit of a smoother ride other then that I love it .

I even did solid Heim and spherical bushings and berly notice them at all !

jose21

Established Member
I swaped from Irs To a built SRA I did the work myself so I saved alot there and it was easy ! Detroit true track , 373 gears Moser axles etc I'm in canada and cost me roughly 3k with the cost of the rear ! Only thing I miss is a bit of a smoother ride other then that I love it .

I even did solid Heim and spherical bushings and berly notice them at all !
Thanks for the help man I'm leaning on getting a sra more now and building it

Rambro

Established Member
I just picked up a sra for my cobra. How much should I expect to spend on getting the rear set up with a new diff, gears, axles and welding the tubes? I'd be buying all the parts so some ideas on bench work cost would be great.

Last edited:

Cabbage

Established Member
I just built my IRS this spring with a complete FTBR Kit, Detroit truetrac, arp studded everything I could, solid pinion spacer etc. I put 600kms on it and hated how much louder and more rough the car was plus the famous IRS clunk is aweful. It handled nice in the corners and seemed to hook good. I sold it 2 weeks ago and currently building an 8.8 with strange 31 spines, c clip elim, truetrac etc. My dad has a terminator swapped 03 mach 1 with SRA and I love how his car rides, works on the street. It's what made me decide to go sra. I can't wait to try mine out.

Last edited:

mkb116

Established Member
Look into the Mark Williams builds. You send them your axle and they will do whatever you want to it. If you plan on tracking it do the 9" ends to avoid the c clip eliminators. I wish I had gone this route in the first place.

jose21

Established Member
I just built my IRS this spring with a complete FTBR Kit, Detroit truetrac, arp studded everything I could, solid pinion spacer etc. I put 600kms on it and hated how much louder and more rough the car was plus the famous IRS clunk is aweful. It handled nice in the corners and seemed to hook good. I sold it 2 weeks ago and currently building an 8.8 with strange 31 spines, c clip elim, truetrac etc. My dad has a terminator swapped 03 mach 1 with SRA and I love how his car rides, works on the street. It's what made me decide to go sra. I can't wait to try mine out.
Thanks man yea it definitely looks like I'll be building a sra soon just don't knoe if i should go with the 8.8 or 9"

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
Thanks man yea it definitely looks like I'll be building a sra soon just don't knoe if i should go with the 8.8 or 9"

With your power goals an 8.8 is more than enough and it doesn't eat up as much power. Also, unless you get like a team z housing a 9 inch does not give the correct driveshaft angle out of the box.

8.8 with 9 inch ends welded, braced, and a 31-35 spline setup will be more than enough.

SVTCruz

Established Member
I switched my Cobra to a SRA . No regrets at all! to be honest there really isn't a difference in ride quality. I got a fully built SRA off a 98 GT.
14374386_661564600667885_1277714824_n_zpswnwmheyp.jpg

CC_zps8jhwsisa.jpg

jose21

Established Member
With your power goals an 8.8 is more than enough and it doesn't eat up as much power. Also, unless you get like a team z housing a 9 inch does not give the correct driveshaft angle out of the box.

8.8 with 9 inch ends welded, braced, and a 31-35 spline setup will be more than enough.
Thanks for the help man 8.8 it is

jose21

Established Member
I switched my Cobra to a SRA . No regrets at all! to be honest there really isn't a difference in ride quality. I got a fully built SRA off a 98 GT.
14374386_661564600667885_1277714824_n_zpswnwmheyp.jpg

CC_zps8jhwsisa.jpg

I was able to ride and drive my buddy's cobra with a sra swap and your right the ride quality is very similar

Users who are viewing this thread