ST owners come in here!

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
What's up everyone? So since the Focus ST came out I've been drooling over having one. Unfortunately in the small little town I'm from my local ford dealer has not ever had one on there lot for me to check out. This past weekend I took a little road trip up to another bigger dealer to check one out in person for the first time and I must say I'm absolutely in love!

Sadly when I went in to look at one being a young looking 23 year old I got profiled and they told me that they don't test drive these cars, the salesman at the ford dealership was honestly just an all around jack ass anyways so I left a little dissapointed. Luckily I went 30 seconds down the street and found a black 13' at a used lot with 4,800 miles on it and will be going to test drive it this weekend just to see how one drives/handles and get an all around impression on the car.

Now providing I like the car which I can imagine I will I plan to purchase one in April-May as there's no sense in buying one now because I would not drive one through an Indiana winter anyways. I know the car isn't going to be breaking any land speed records or running unbeliavable quarter mile times and that's not what I want it for. I want something brand new, that's enjoyable to drive and handles well and I feel like the focus will do just that. The goal is to buy a brand new 2014 in tangerine scream with the st2 package as I don't need the navigation or the moonroof.

So my question to you guys is what is your favorite/least favorite things about the car? Has the excitement worn off? Or does it still put a smile on your face everytime you get behind the wheel? Anything I should watch out as for as issues, or is there anything you wish ford had done differently on the car? Now I've never owned a new car or anything newer than an 04 before, so I'm sure my initial reaction will be great about the car so that's why I'm hoping some of you more experienced veterans with newer cars can give me your input on them. I'm planning to keep my 01 GT since it's a never ending project and I'll be trading/selling my srt4 which I currently daily drive in favor of one of these.

Any input is helpful and appreciated, and any grammatical errors can be blamed on my iPhone. Thanks guys! :beer:

Last edited:

jonb347

Established Member
I am also a "punk" 23 year old, but fortunately my family owns a lil tiny dealership. We keep two on the lot most of the time. I have had my '13 st3 for about 8 months and it has about 11k on it. I still love it. I drive it anytime I get a chance, for work or for fun. Hasn't worn off yet, and I bought it over a used 03/04 Termi or a Brembo '13 GT which were my other two choices. The next will be a '16 or '17 SVT car most likely.

By the way I went to school in SC and test drove one down there. The guy took me to an empty parking lot and showed me tire marks from Mustang test drives. I flogged the thing and he knew I wasn't even going to buy it. So, I am sure there are some big dealerships that don't care that might let you test drive one,

Last edited:

mysterio

Established Member
There's a lot to like with this car. Good mileage if you want it, 4 door practicality, performance and 'fun' when desired, decent electronics, decent options depending on trim lvl, just to name a few.

What I don't like are all somewhat minor 'nuisance' items:
1. brake dust
2. torque steer
3. brake dust
4. position of front 12v outlet is stupid
5. brake dust

The good outweighs the bad, at least for me.

timpryor

Turbo'd ST
Established Member
There's a lot to like with this car. Good mileage if you want it, 4 door practicality, performance and 'fun' when desired, decent electronics, decent options depending on trim lvl, just to name a few.

1. brake dust
2. torque steer
3. brake dust
5. brake dust

This but mine is an st3 and the position of the cupholders sucks ass.

2004Droptop

Established Member

1. brake dust
2. torque steer
3. brake dust
5. brake dust

#1.... I put Hawk HPS pads on, problems solved and still stops really well. Honestly, not quite as grabby as stock but work fine

SemperFiMarine2

Established Member

1. brake dust
2. torque steer
3. brake dust
5. brake dust

+123456789 on the brake dust, lol! I've had mine just over a year and I still drive it everyday! I love it just as much as the day I bought it! Now that it's been out for over a year, the parts from different companies just keep coming and just keep making me wish I had more money!

TL;DR: Buy one, mod it to your likings (if you want), and never look back! It's such a great and fun daily driver!:banana:

mysterio

Established Member
#1.... I put Hawk HPS pads on, problems solved and still stops really well. Honestly, not quite as grabby as stock but work fine

That is good to know, as Hawk makes a good product; I've had their HPS pads on my Mustang in the past.

It seemed like forever that we ST owners were waiting on some decent aftermarket brake pads.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
Hey guys I appreciate all the inputs!!! If there's more of you out there keep it coming! I did get to drive one this past weekend! The little car really impressed me for the less than exciting drive I got to take it on in busy city traffic. The shifting was definitely clean and precise and the throw wasn't nearly as long as I was expecting out of a stock shifter. Power wise I never really did get to test it out much but I'm sure it's there. The brakes were definitely incredibly grabby and what I'd consider touchy. Although I'm sure with more seat time I'd get used to it. I definitely feel like it's an exciting little car! I'm going to wait until the fiestas hit the lot and drive one of those first as well before I make my decision because between it and the focus I really like them both!

Miette

Established Member
I just broke 5k miles on mine today, and I still love it. The biggest thing to watch out for is to make sure the motor mount TSB is done before you take possession. The original factory mounts are very soft, and you can get wheel hop and a nasty bang under the hood. Thankfully, the TSB won't cost you anything, though there could be a wait for parts. However, since you're looking to buy in the spring, your car may end up coming from the factory with the upgraded mounts, just be sure to ask. My only other real pet peeve is that the gas mileage drops very dramatically when it gets cold out.

The good stuff: The ST2 seats are just as comfortable as their good looks suggest, and they keep you planted when toying with the nice sport suspension. The Sony audio with My Ford Touch is pretty damn nice too, as long as you don't mind the hefty price tag for it. I'm actually using mine as a daily driver in Minnesota, and find that it's very well at home on snow and ice (with winter tires, of course). You can let off the clutch without giving it any gas, and the ECU will take over to give you the traction you need to get moving on slick roads. Don't want traction? Put it in sport mode, or turn the stability and traction control completely off and the ST is good at frying tires on dry pavement too.

Anyway, I don't want to get too carried away. Just go drive one.

jacob517

GOT SHARPIE?
Established Member
I just broke 5k miles on mine today, and I still love it. The biggest thing to watch out for is to make sure the motor mount TSB is done before you take possession. The original factory mounts are very soft, and you can get wheel hop and a nasty bang under the hood. Thankfully, the TSB won't cost you anything, though there could be a wait for parts. However, since you're looking to buy in the spring, your car may end up coming from the factory with the upgraded mounts, just be sure to ask. My only other real pet peeve is that the gas mileage drops very dramatically when it gets cold out.

The good stuff: The ST2 seats are just as comfortable as their good looks suggest, and they keep you planted when toying with the nice sport suspension. The Sony audio with My Ford Touch is pretty damn nice too, as long as you don't mind the hefty price tag for it. I'm actually using mine as a daily driver in Minnesota, and find that it's very well at home on snow and ice (with winter tires, of course). You can let off the clutch without giving it any gas, and the ECU will take over to give you the traction you need to get moving on slick roads. Don't want traction? Put it in sport mode, or turn the stability and traction control completely off and the ST is good at frying tires on dry pavement too.

Anyway, I don't want to get too carried away. Just go drive one.

I'm picking mine up Monday, Do I tell the dealer about "TSB" replacement? Is it covered by ford? I test drove one and immediately noticed the wheel hop.

Miette

Established Member
I'm picking mine up Monday, Do I tell the dealer about "TSB" replacement? Is it covered by ford? I test drove one and immediately noticed the wheel hop.

Yes, tell them about it. They might not know about it, but they will look it up and fix it. It won't cost you anything.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
I'm 21 and the salesman let me drive an ST3 home by myself?

Find a different dealer, they don't deserve your business if they wont even let you test drive one.

I do recommend getting one though. Fun little cars.

korizmo

I like Lamp
Established Member
The newer build 2014's come with efocus mount from the factory now. There will still be wheel hop, but you shouldn't hear the mount slam against the frame anymore.

I have a 2013 ST and after reading some stories about the clutch feeling completely different after the TSB, I'm just going to install my own mount.

I'm currently deployed and my 2013 ST1 has been sitting for 4 months with only 2K miles so far. Driving it feels really nice and makes me want to drive it. Easiest 6 speed to drive and enjoy.

As for the salesman I would have taken that attitude up the chain.

Last edited:

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
The newer build 2014's come with efocus mount from the factory now. There will still be wheel hop, but you shouldn't hear the mount slam against the frame anymore.

I have a 2013 ST and after reading some stories about the clutch feeling completely different after the TSB, I'm just going to install my own mount.

I'm currently deployed and my 2013 ST1 has been sitting for 4 months with only 2K miles so far. Driving it feels really nice and makes me want to drive it. Easiest 6 speed to drive and enjoy.

As for the salesman I would have taken that attitude up the chain.

I have a 2014 and I heard the loud bang the first time I shifted quickly from 1-2 at redline. Scared the crap out of me. I have the CPe stage 2 mount and there is still wheel hop. I do not think anything will really fix all the wheel hop.

Grey03

Established Member
+123456789 on the brake dust, lol! I've had mine just over a year and I still drive it everyday! I love it just as much as the day I bought it! Now that it's been out for over a year, the parts from different companies just keep coming and just keep making me wish I had more money!

TL;DR: Buy one, mod it to your likings (if you want), and never look back! It's such a great and fun daily driver!:banana:

Solved my brake dust problem.. Wheels same color as the dust...

DSC_0948_zps7427a9ec.jpg

I truly enjoy driving it everyday!

Volstang

Established Member
I have a '13 ST2 and I really enjoy it. I had the TSB performed for the bang and my clutch is fine. I also don't notice any delay in clutch coming back up. If the clutch is properly bled it should be fine. If you don't mind doing the wrenching and you have jack stands you could do it yourself. As far as mods go, I have an Unleashed Tune 93 Octane tune, Steeda short throw shifter bracket, and JBR shifter bushings. Love the way the shifter feels now and the tune really woke the car up.

ScreamingFast

Chicks love big Slicks!!
Established Member
I got my wife one and love that little car, I actually enjoy it more than I did my 500+ rwhp Cobra! After awhile the short comings in power will go out the window and you will see it has plenty of power in all the right places of the rev band. Since it is my wifes she won't let me do much mods yet (warranty) but the potential is there. Great car and you won't be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread