ST Suspension XTA Coilovers

evil281

Established Member
I tried searching the forum but the words "ST XTA" are too short so the search feature will not work.

Can anyone running these chime in and let me know what you think?

I mainly just drive my car around town and want height adjustable suspension. I want to get rid of my 4x4 look. I dont track my car so I am not going to spend top dollar. I live in AZ so I don't ever have salt on the road so the zinc body does not really matter.

I know these are made by KW so thats a plus.

What I cannot find is any info on spring rates or if there were any problems with the CC plates it comes with.

Just looking for some feedback on these coilovers for the more budget minded build where height adjustablility is a must.

BrianH87

Established Member
I just went through a ton of research on coilovers and was considering the ST's. The ones you mentioned come with spherical camber plates. Awesome on the track, but can be noisey and clunk on the street. You may want to consider the regular ST's and get your own camber plates. I decided to go with Eibach's, which are also made by KW. You won't find any info on KW's springs rates, unless somebody tested them. They hide their rates.

Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
Does ST make adjustable sets or it is just non adjustable?

According to the description on lethal performance they are adjustable.

"ST XTA coilovers feature KW damping technology which allows the suspension to be made either stiffer or softer depending on the driving conditions. This damping adjustment is made on the upper end of the chromed piston rod allowing the setup to be changed almost instantly."

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
Last edited:

evil281

Established Member
Yeah, I see that on the XTA's - but don't see it meantioned on the kits that dont have spherical plates.

I'm also reading this:

*Damper Options*
ST Speedtech Coilovers offer only a non-dampening adjustable solution along with the height adjustability, just like the KW V1's.

http://www.maperformance.com/st-coilover-kit-ford-mustang-5th-gen.-90323.html

Hmm I wonder what the difference between the speedtech vs v1, probably just the brand stamped on the side. KW vs ST.

Looks like the xta is more like the v2

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
I would want to more if so. One could probably put C/C plates on top instead of the provided spherical plates.

evil281

Established Member
I would want to more if so. One could probably put C/C plates on top instead of the provided spherical plates.

I was looking at other CC plates and noticed MM and Vorshlog CC plates are spherical plates as well. I guess if you are running good plates you may just have to use a spherical type plate? I don't really know what other brands to look at or if the noise is even that noticeable. I partly daily drive a lifted Jeep with full Long arm kit all spherical ends so I am aware of the sounds you can get with spherical control arms but it doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

BrianH87

Established Member
Hmm I wonder what the difference between the speedtech vs v1, probably just the brand stamped on the side. KW vs ST.

Looks like the xta is more like the v2

The difference that I was told is that the KW body is full stainless and the ST body is zinc. The warranty is only 5 years on the ST vs lifetime on KW. Everything else is the same other than colors.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
I can give you guys a good look once they show up as i just ordered these, but there's going to be like a month delay as they are being drop shipped by KW from Germany once they are made.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
I was told 4-6 weeks, took about 3. Props.

As promised:

Still need some other components for the drop before these go in

mBqqffj.jpg

sqLEAWq.jpg

98oiePw.jpg

2zLdZ5q.jpg

esIBDhU.jpg

dormeas

Established Member
So just confirming, these are the ST XTA coilovers?

Are the rears adjustable too, and if so is it in the same location on the strut?

I take it these are single adjustable, but what does it adjust? Rebound, compression, or both.

I think it's strange that on ST's website, it does not even list the XTA as being available for the 2011-2014 cars.

I really like these coilovers for the price and the performance reputation of KW. However the lack of specific info and spring rate info kinda makes me lean toward the Ground Control units.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
- They are XTA
- Rears and fronts are both rebound adjustable (you can read it on the adjuster) , from the same location
- If you search by the product number they are listed everywhere for 2011-2014 cars. My KW manual and instructions guide has Ford Mustang 2005-2014 printed on it.
- I personally spoke to KW about these and they said they would be perfect for my intentions, and thats where I got the above spring rate info. KW doesn't really post spring rates for any of their kits.

Ground control's kit are not exactly coil-overs, but seem like a good buy nonetheless.

evil281

Established Member
Nice! I am glad someone had the balls to try this kit out. I can't wait to hear what you think of them. I was just unsure about them due to the lack of info. They need to do a better job advertising this line.

I ended up going with BMR springs and a shocks/strut setup after a bunch of research and help from BMR.

I don't have the height adjustability I wanted and the set up is not quite as firm in the corners but I can tell at the strip my suspension will shine.

Since I don't road race I just came to realize that if I wanted a good street/drag set up coilovers were not the way to go even though you get height adjustability.

Last edited:

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Yeah, I didn't know you had drag race intentions, otherwise I would have said scrap the idea altogether.

I'm aiming for road race use 3-4 times a year, and would only drag race it for gits and shiggles. I have BMR relo's, LCA's and a panhard on order, just need to find a deal on BMR's spherical UCA and mount and I'll be lined up for these to go in.

evil281

Established Member
Yeah, I didn't know you had drag race intentions, otherwise I would have said scrap the idea altogether.

I'm aiming for road race use 3-4 times a year, and would only drag race it for gits and shiggles. I have BMR relo's, LCA's and a panhard on order, just need to find a deal on BMR's spherical UCA and mount and I'll be lined up for these to go in.

I didn't really have drag racings intentions when I posted this. Really I wanted height adjustability and a nice firm suspension for fun corner carving around town as this is 95% a street car. I just know that my last mustang ended up at the drag strip a couple times a year and I really think I may get back into that a bit more the more I talk with my friends so I decided to lean more on the drag set up that also isn't too bad on the street either.

My goals with this car are fluid at best...:p

Wait until I start looking FI in the next couple months....

Rdrcr

Established Member
Looking forward to some impressions once you get them installed.

I had ST's on my Audi and they were a surprisingly good coilover and a great value for the money.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread