ST220 Lower Intake

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
I ran into someone that is selling a lower intake from an ST220 which houses a 3L Duratec. From what I gather the primary and secondary bores on the ST220 lower are slightly larger (34mm/35mm vs. 31mm/32mm) than on the SVT and it uses larger injectors (24lbs vs. 19lbs) as well considering it's feeding a 3L versus the 2.5L. I'm thinking about taking it off their hands but I'm not sure if the power gains will be worth it with it being the only upgrade at this point. Do you guys think I'll see any gains from this if I did get it and swapped it out with my SVT lower?

Last edited:

greensvt21

retired truckie SFD!
Established Member
uhmm, no. you want gains from your 2.5. first headers, 2nd better exhuast dump the crappy resanator on the stock system, optimize your throttle body, then a tune.you can add a turbo etc., but if you want more...3L then turbo.

:-D

elraido

Established Member
Honestly I don't know if there has been enough "research" done on this over here to know if there would be noticeable gains or not. Depending on the price, it might not be a bad addition.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
a cheaper route IIRC is the late model Cougar LIM.

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
The person claimed that a friend of his did the swap on their CSVT along with a full exhaust including headers, CAI, and a dyno tune and picked up 57 horses. I don't know how possible that is but I'm guessing if I did do the swap along with other mods I should see some gains. The opportunity kinda fell on my lap and I could get a good deal on it so I've been considering it. I'm not trying to break power records with my CSVT cause it's only my DD but gains are always welcome.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
he's full of shit.
the only way you are going to get 57hp is via the 3.0L swap or a 50hp shot.
I did a full bolt on 3.0L, and the guy I sold it to dynoed it at 220fwhp...I dynoed the stock 2.5L @ 157.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I don't recall, I believe it was equal almost to the HP. starjammir on CEG is the one with my old car.

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
I would probably have to cal the MAF for the bigger injectors wouldn't I?

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
he's full of shit.
the only way you are going to get 57hp is via the 3.0L swap or a 50hp shot.
I did a full bolt on 3.0L, and the guy I sold it to dynoed it at 220fwhp...I dynoed the stock 2.5L @ 157.

It didn't sound right to me either RT. I know these things don't respond that well to bolt ons. I do think it would be interesting though to see what it would do in comparison to the stocker, if anything at all anyways.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I would probably have to cal the MAF for the bigger injectors wouldn't I?
At a minimum a tune is the way most guys accompany larger injectors. IMO the stock MAF is fine for almost all the NA applications. Once you go FI though it would probably be best to go to a larger.
FWIW, I ran the Pro-M 75mm when I first got my car and noticed jack.

Users who are viewing this thread