Stage 1: What to expect? Any info?

TIAMAT

Established Member
At the end of June i'm driving up to JDM to get stage 1 installed. I will get the chip, boost bypass, line mod, breather cap, intake kit and new trans pan. I want single stage all season chip. Anybody have any tips or info about how you had JDM tune your chip. Does the trans shift real hard with the tuning of the chip with the line mod? How does it perform with these mods and are they really easy to live with? I'll be 16 hours from home so if there is any info you guys could share with me it would be great. I want it to be perfect when i head back to Chicago.
Thanks, J-mart:shrug:

Vito

Broken
Established Member
and if the shift is too firm for you the can soften it up a bit :)

TIAMAT

Established Member
I had heard that the shifts were firm on a couple of threads. Is it bad for the trans and is it uncomfortable for daily driving? Also, stage 1 includes a dual stage chip. I want the single stage chip because i go to the track only a handfull of times a year. When you guys take your L in for service has the chip created a problem with warranty work? The 7 qt trans pan sticks out like a sore thumb i assume.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
It is better for the trans so shift firmer. It lasts longer and is better for the internal components of the transmission.

Vito

Broken
Established Member
I just got around to installing the Line Mod Valve and 4x4 pan I put in the 7qts of ATF, but looking at the pan I really dont think it sticks out that bad they would have to be looking for it. as far as the shifts I have a JDM flip chip and the Line Mod. at regular driving it shifts firmer, but not that bad. My 80 Cutlass shifts a bit harder :) now under WOT :thumbsup:
My only question is..Is there a magnet on the 4x4 pan or did I have to swap the old one over???? :shrug:

FastFreddy

Established Member
Stage One

On May 13 JDM installed their Stage One Kit on my 2000-L. I have the flip chip with cold/hot tunes. The shifts are later and harder. First to second comes at 20 mph at minimum throttle and it hits pretty hard. I will probably have the cold tune softened up a bit and leave the hot tune alone. The trans pan is the low point now so be careful not to get high centered and damage the pan. I think the stock magnet was used in the new pan. Hope this helps. Fred.

Vito

Broken
Established Member
Re: Stage One

:) it helps me think I messed up :Lol1:
Originally posted by SouthJerseyUSA
On May 13 JDM installed their Stage One Kit on my 2000-L. I have the flip chip with cold/hot tunes. The shifts are later and harder. First to second comes at 20 mph at minimum throttle and it hits pretty hard. I will probably have the cold tune softened up a bit and leave the hot tune alone. The trans pan is the low point now so be careful not to get high centered and damage the pan. I think the stock magnet was used in the new pan. Hope this helps. Fred.

TIAMAT

Established Member
I will be getting stage 1 but with a single program chip. How does JDM tune the single chip? Is is just the street program of the street/strip dual stage chip? I might have JDM soften up the shifts with the line mod. It will shift alot better than stock but i don't want it to be harsh.:eek:

Vito

Broken
Established Member
I wouldnt worry about the shifts. I have the flip chip and lind mod valve, it at regular driving isnt harsh :) at WOT it isnt harsh for me, but it barks them in second :)

Originally posted by TIAMAT
I will be getting stage 1 but with a single program chip. How does JDM tune the single chip? Is is just the street program of the street/strip dual stage chip? I might have JDM soften up the shifts with the line mod. It will shift alot better than stock but i don't want it to be harsh.:eek:

SVT_KY

Established Member
OK .... What's the difference between the JDM Line
Mod and the Factory Tech Valve mods? I heard that
one increases the pump ?? pressure and the other
doesn't.

Any Tranny experts out there??????

Vito

Broken
Established Member
That is a good question, Unfortunatly I dont have the correct answer. try asking that in the JDM tech forum :)

Originally posted by SVT_KY
OK .... What's the difference between the JDM Line
Mod and the Factory Tech Valve mods? I heard that
one increases the pump ?? pressure and the other
doesn't.

Any Tranny experts out there??????

Users who are viewing this thread