stage 2 comp cams? Notched pistons?

Wht/Blk02GT

Established Member
Recently within the past couple of months ive started blowing plugs out of the heads in my 02 GT, which maybe couldve been installation error however they were put in about 3 years ago dont know why they wouldve waited this long to pop but, thats the issue im having which leads to my question... i will be purchasing a new set of heads and cams, planning on twisted wedge heads or MMR stage 2 heads and unsure on the cams to get, from the looking around Ive done comp cams XE270AH seems pretty legit, on some sites I see they say you have to notch the pistons and on some there is no mention of doing so.? Would like to get some insight from you guys and thoughts of this set up or if you have better ideas they would be appreciated.!.!

HighCal

Established Member
If your running your factory internals go with there stage 1 cams. Do the stage 2 if your upgrading your pistons or all internals. Also I wouldn't deal with MMR because all the story's that have been on here lately. I've never dealt with them though. Trickflow heads are badass so you can't go wrong with them. I'm personally doing trickflow heads with the stage 2 comp cams. Upgraded internals as well

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Look at MHS cams. Pair a set of those with the trick flow heads and you'll have a good combo.

Wht/Blk02GT

Established Member
ok cool im gonna check into MHS cams see what they have to offer. so the notching is not needed or is it if I go with stage 2 ???

Stanger00

Established Member
Another plus with TFS heads is that you will not need to notch pistons with a bigger cam. Anything over stage 2 PI you will need to bore the block .020 over and will need notched pistons for an appropriate cam.

sb2v

Established Member
i bought the stage 2 cams and my mechanic who has a ton of modular motors under his belt told me if they r timed right u will not have to notch the pistons

spike_africa

Established Member
Its true, if they are actually timed correctly then you don't need to notch the pistons. Its how they were designed. But most people toss them in and don't do a full timing procedure. With the Trickflow heads you don't have to worry as much because of design of the heads.

Wht/Blk02GT

Established Member
Thanks for the info guys. I think with the info ive got from here im gonna get the twisted wedges with the 120lb springs and stage 2 cams!

spike_africa

Established Member
The Comp 270 cam's are good performers. I know Trickflow makes their own cams now for those heads and you might want to compare specs and see how they look. I mean they are made for their heads. I wouldn't be surprised if they make more power in the TFS heads.

Stanger00

Established Member
TF cam profiles arent too much off from other manufactures. They have a 112 LSA and durations on the smaller cam is 228 intake and 230 exhaust a .05 lift with max lift of .550. Their other cam, I run it with my car, is a little more aggressive. Its general specs are 114 LSA 234 and 234 intake and exhaust at .05 lift and max lift at .580. The LSA on this cam is better for blower cars I believe. The other cam looks to be good for a decent street N/A cam. I could be totally wrong with my knowledge on cam specs though.

FWIW, my car is just over 600hp and 533 torque. Max torque comes around 5k rpms and stays pretty flat till 6300 and slowly tapers down. Hp is over 500 at 5k rpms and hits 600 at 6k and slowly rises to 614 at 7k rpms with 16psi max boost.

I think the 270's will be better performer, imo. TFS cams are good but I think they could of been a bit better with a little less intake duration or more exhaust duration.

Users who are viewing this thread