stage 3 heads stock cams?

sb306

Established Member
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on what kind of power/boost I would get putting stage 3 heads on my stock shortblock with the stock cams. I decided to bite the bullet and get new heads after I kept having problems with my 4 thread heads. I got the heads from a SV on the forum. He told me that I shouldn't have trouble with the stage 3 heads as far as smog goes(in CA). Apparently its all in the tune. Ill be getting close to the max Ill want to run on the stock shortblock. So I don't really want to push it that much harder than I am already with the eaton(I don't want to thrash my new heads). plus, the cams have a bigger effect on smog than heads do. Anyway I understand I could get A LOT more power with cams alone rather than with just heads alone. Was just wondering what my boost would drop to and how much power I would gain. Also if it would be safe to throw on a different pulley to make up for the lost boost(even though Ill be putting down more power without it) I know that throwing heads like these on a n/a engine would totally kill the power unless u spun it to the sky. But it seems like it really wouldn't have that kind of affect on a FI engine. thanks for any input. I also got a sct 2600 just to be safe. I was hoping for maybe 445 hp at wheels. what do u guys think?

Last edited:

CHUXSVT

HELL YEAH I STREET RACE!
Established Member
i lost around 3#'s when i got my heads installed. you should get a good 30hp out of them. these motors will hold up to 500 hp on a good safe tune. i pushed 18#'s on my stocker for over a year. then i added nitrous. didnt last too long. ha!ha!

what other mods do you have.
if your intrested, i have a set of cams for sale. check my signature.

203Cree

Established Member
Just wanted to get everyones opinion on what kind of power/boost I would get putting stage 3 heads on my stock shortblock with the stock cams. I decided to bite the bullet and get new heads after I kept having problems with my 4 thread heads. I got the heads from a SV on the forum. He told me that I shouldn't have trouble with the stage 3 heads as far as smog goes(in CA). Apparently its all in the tune. Ill be getting close to the max Ill want to run on the stock shortblock. So I don't really want to push it that much harder than I am already with the eaton(I don't want to thrash my new heads). plus, the cams have a bigger effect on smog than heads do. Anyway I understand I could get A LOT more power with cams alone rather than with just heads alone. Was just wondering what my boost would drop to and how much power I would gain. Also if it would be safe to throw on a different pulley to make up for the lost boost(even though Ill be putting down more power without it) I know that throwing heads like these on a n/a engine would totally kill the power unless u spun it to the sky. But it seems like it really wouldn't have that kind of affect on a FI engine. thanks for any input. I also got a sct 2600 just to be safe. I was hoping for maybe 445 hp at wheels. what do u guys think?

IIRC Stage 3's were good for around 60hp with no headwork done other than new valve springs. 6lb lower and Stage 3's plus the supporting mods have netted some people right at the 500 whp mark.

You can run the Stg 3's on stock heads too. Just be sure to do springs/retainers at the same time, lol, otherwise you'll be redoing work very soon.

sb306

Established Member
I don't usually do this sort of thing. BUMP FOR MORE INFO. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread