Stagger or square?

hashbash

Established Member
I've got a completely stock coyote and am looking into getting the 19" forgestar f14s. I see a lot of guys running staggered setups with 9" fronts and 10" rears and being able to rotate tires is a nice luxury to have, so I been debating going square with 10" (AM has them with +42 mm offset). I did some searching and most of the guys that are running 10" up front are doing auto cross. My question is why do so many guys opt to give up the choice to rotate their tires just so their fronts are an inch narrower? To me it just makes more sense to run a 19x10 square setup am I missing something?

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
i do not recomend 10 inch on front if u daily drive.lot of useless wear on sterring struts ect.

KBBoss302

Established Member
I have run square 19x10 with 285/35/19s on my exclusively street driven Boss. No downside to doing it and that ET42 is a good offset to use for clearing Brembos and not poking out in back, either.

Your car came with a square setup so it's damping/swaybars were setup for having equal traction at both ends.

Vert

Established Member
2 reasons, for looks or performance. Since Im FI I need to run a wider tire in the rear that won't fit on the front. Besides that if you run the 1320, you don't want a wide tire in the front.

q6543

Established Member
Hash bash......can't wait for that first Saturday in april.

if you are actually gonna rotate then square. If you value looks and style stagger.

I try to have my rears smoked before I would rotate.

Vert

Established Member
Hash bash......can't wait for that first Saturday in april.

if you are actually gonna rotate then square. If you value looks and style stagger.

I try to have my rears smoked before I would rotate.

This Id rather buy 2 new tires rather than 4 lol

hashbash

Established Member
Lol you realize when you don't rotate the tires you cut the mileage you get out of them by half. So you're not buying 2 tires you're buying 6 every time a guy with a square setup buys 4. That's the whole point...

q6543

Established Member
You should sell your mustang and buy a camaro if You're worried about tire longevity.

May93

Established Member
If it's your daily driver then being able to rotate your tires is a must if you want them to wear evenly. If its your toy on the weekends then buy staggered. One can never have too wide of a back tire. However that's just my opinion as my Mustang spends more time sitting in the garage then driven.

Vert

Established Member
Lol you realize when you don't rotate the tires you cut the mileage you get out of them by half. So you're not buying 2 tires you're buying 6 every time a guy with a square setup buys 4. That's the whole point...
Uh no. My fronts still look new and I'm due for a rear set that lasted 2 summers and they are summer only tires. If you drive like a puss then stick with sq set up.

hashbash

Established Member
I'm looking for legitimate advice not some shit on telling to me to buy a camaro because it burns less rubber. And the other dumbass saying that having wide tires up front means you're driving like a puss.

hashbash

Established Member
If it's your daily driver then being able to rotate your tires is a must if you want them to wear evenly. If its your toy on the weekends then buy staggered. One can never have too wide of a back tire. However that's just my opinion as my Mustang spends more time sitting in the garage then driven.

Yeah saving $500 for two tires every 30k miles when I need new a new set is worth it. And I think that 9" wide wheels up front don't look worse than 10". I'll just be running 285 all around instead of 255 front and 285 back.

Last edited:

Vert

Established Member
A newbie with attitude, lol. This question has been asked 100s of time so do a search next time before you ask a stupid question when you already knew what you wanted to do.

hashbash

Established Member
A newbie with attitude, lol. This question has been asked 100s of time so do a search next time before you ask a stupid question when you already knew what you wanted to do.

I wasn't asking for your opinion, if your IQ is in the double digits keep it to yourself.

Vert

Established Member
A little more useful info for you, your car takes 5 lugs not 4. Lol

Last edited:

basspro302

Established Member
If you want to rotate buy square. I run a 20x9.5 on the front and a 20x11 on the rear. People always stop me and ask how big my tires are on the rear lol. I run drag radials so rotating is pointless anyways. It just depends what look you want or what performance you are trying to get. Running a staggered setup just lets you fit the widest wheel and tire possible on the back and it looks killer imo.

hashbash

Established Member
If you want to rotate buy square. I run a 20x9.5 on the front and a 20x11 on the rear. People always stop me and ask how big my tires are on the rear lol. I run drag radials so rotating is pointless anyways. It just depends what look you want or what performance you are trying to get. Running a staggered setup just lets you fit the widest wheel and tire possible on the back and it looks killer imo.

I agree with you I love the way 19 or 20x11 would look but I imo it's overkill for a stock daily driver. 19x10 is as wide as I will go on the rears, and my point is would it be bad to go 19x10 on the fronts and be able to rotate versus going 19x9. The 19x9 and 19x10 is so much more common that I started thinking there must be something bad about running square 19x10.

Users who are viewing this thread