Staggered wheel question on AWD

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Staggered wheel setup on Taurus SHO

255/35/R20 Front = 678.18 MM

285/30/R20 Rear= 685.5 MM

How detrimental is this potentially ? 7.4MM too much of a difference to the point to where it'll cause the C-Diff to bind and break ?

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
That is just over a 1% difference in rotating circumference. It's probably best to consult the manual here, but having different rotating circumferences can start to wear out the center differential. I'm not sure what type of differentials the SHO uses. If it uses a clutch style center section you may simply see increased wear on teh clutch packs.

If it uses a gear style differential, you may see weird driving effects like skating. Most AWD cars are built knowing there will always be some differences in the rotating circumference of the wheels attached to the system and can compensate for that. The large differences can be detrimental.

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Why not run the same size all around? What wheels are you going with and be sure to post up pictures once finished.

HandBanana

Established Member
Staggered wheel setup on Taurus SHO

255/35/R20 Front = 678.18 MM

285/30/R20 Rear= 685.5 MM

How detrimental is this potentially ? 7.4MM too much of a difference to the point to where it'll cause the C-Diff to bind and break ?

Why? :bash:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Why? :bash:

Sorry :(

Wifes car currently has 19" base wheels. Got a flat today. Curious if I could throw my shelby razors on there and get my self a big and little setup rather than spending $1200 on tires for stupid ass 19's

Last edited:

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
why not just buy one tire and get it shaved down to match the rest?

Never knew you could shave a tire down. really could afford to replace all 4 tires they're getting low(45%'ish) but I hate to buy 4 new tires on wheels She don't like and really don't want to stick with 19's. Just didn't know how much of a rotational height difference was "too" much. She'd like a custom'ish wheel and I'd like some bigs and littles. Was seeing if killing two birds with 1 stone was a possibility.

Last edited:

Blackoyote

Established Member
Sorry :(

Wifes car currently has 19" base wheels. Got a flat today. Curious if I could throw my shelby razors on there and get my self a big and little setup rather than spending $1200 on tires for stupid ass 19's

By no means am I trying to come off as condescending, but why don't you just plug the tire? :shrug: Or go to a Discount Tire and they'll patch it for free (literally, zero dollars). Unless of course, it's the side wall...

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Why would you replace all the tires, rather than just the one or both front or both back?

Because you arent supposed to do this on AWD.

The outside diameter/rolling circumference of all 4 wheels must be very similar. If not, the difference puts strain on the center differential. I dont recall the actual physics behind it, but even cheap ass DSMers would not replace one tire unless it was to get down the street at a very low speed to a tire shop to get all 4 done.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
What is the actual power split on the SHO? When I had my Volvo R car it was 90-10 front to rear in normal driving and up to 50-50 if needed. There would be no need whatsoever to use wider tires on the rear on a front biased AWD system.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
What is the actual power split on the SHO? When I had my Volvo R car it was 90-10 front to rear in normal driving and up to 50-50 if needed. There would be no need whatsoever to use wider tires on the rear on a front biased AWD system.

Yeah, it's not for functionality. It's just because I already have a staggered setup on my mustang I was thinking about moving over to the SHO. I just don't know if 7.4MM rolling circumference difference between front and rear is acceptable. 4/32(generally what manufactures call for) equates to 3.1MM Just didn't know if there was anymore play in this system specifically. As my current setup would be twice that. Assuming it's not a great idea but didn't know if anyone had more knowledge on the exact physics of the system.

Damage was done to the sidewall :( So patching isn't a possibility.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Yeah, it's not for functionality. It's just because I already have a staggered setup on my mustang I was thinking about moving over to the SHO. I just don't know if 7.4MM rolling circumference difference between front and rear is acceptable. 4/32(generally what manufactures call for) equates to 3.1MM Just didn't know if there was anymore play in this system specifically. As my current setup would be twice that. Assuming it's not a great idea but didn't know if anyone had more knowledge on the exact physics of the system.

Damage was done to the sidewall :( So patching isn't a possibility.

Go to ecoboostperformanceforums.com. Several guys are running a staggered setup but the tire circumference is about the same.

To those that ask why? it looks good.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
IIRC, it was 3% driveline variation between the front and rear outputs before abnormal wear will occur.

Users who are viewing this thread