Stall is back

verbal

Established Member
I had the stall about six months ago and took it to Ford for a reflash. It never happened again until today. I just installed a SLP catback this weekend and was noticing it was acting a little strange when coming to a stop. Today it stalled several times though and I almost ran into the back of someone when the power brakes went out. What do you think is causing this to start up again? Do you think I will be safe going back to Ford for another reprogram with the catback on?

Romans8:28

Established Member
20silversvt04 said:
i wonder if any fault codes are in the computer after a stall? anyone know? not all codes will set off a engine light.

I would think it depends on what is causing the stall.

My car had/has the "classic stall" but does not show any codes.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Romans8:28 said:
I have been stalling with similar mods (04).........

Cleaned my MAF wires and have not stalled in the last three days, time will tell.
A dirty MAF wire will cause the stall like you said. Anyone who has a stalling issue should definely check out their MAF. Especially you they already had the re-flash. I have, though, heard of a few folks who have continued to have a stalling issue even after the reflash. I am not convinced that the reflash is a 100% fix.

verbal

Established Member
I will try to clean the MAF wire and see what happens. Will an aftermarket tune with some thing like the Predator fix the stall?

tapout632

Established Member
I'm trying to find out a little more information about these "stalls" these cobras have. What exactly happens? Like you're driving on the highway and all of a sudden the car just turns off?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It would do the same thing as the re-flash. If you have a chip and have Ford reflash your PCM you would still need the chip tuner to reburn the chip with the same fix. Otherwise the chip would, of course, override the fix in the computer.

SICKBOY

Established Member
chance are the maf wire have something on them of there is some part of the intake not sealing...it would have nothing to do with your catback

03reptile

Established Member
I'd also make sure your dealer enter the proper stall flash. There was an earlier one that did not work. Make sure it was Special Service Message# 17542. Havn't heard of any substantial stalling issues with this new flash. It could very well be another cause.

verbal

Established Member
SICKBOY said:
chance are the maf wire have something on them of there is some part of the intake not sealing...it would have nothing to do with your catback

Man do I feel like an idiot. Today was the first chance I had to look at my car while it is light out since I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I was about to go buy some electrical contact cleaner but decided to take SICKBOY's suggestion on the intake not sealing properly. It turns out the filter had completely fallen off and was just sitting in the air box.

The only thing that holds the filter on is an adjustable strap. I guess I will have to come up with a system of supporting the front of the filter.

Anyways, thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread