Stalling

djax

Established Member
I did a search on stalling issues but was unable to find a resolution for the problem. Sorry if this is old news. I have had my car stall about 7-8 times. Most of the time I am at a stoplight and the car just dies. No issue re-starting. Only mod is a K&N. Any and all info welcome.

larryc7777

Established Member
Stock airbox with silencer? Which computer code? Has the dealer reflashed the ECU with the latest update? Have you set the base idle at 750 rpm?
Need more input.:shrug:

djax

Established Member
K&N in stock airbox, silencer removed. No reflash but this is a 2nd run car, build date 11/02.

jumpinjackflash

Established Member
I just got my car back this morning. This time the dealer reflashed the PCM for the stalling issue and did a couple of unrelated things. It stalled this afternoon on my way to get lunch. :bash:

I have had it in before for the stalling problem and they replaced the IAC but did not reflash.

Bottom line is, I have heard of no conclusive fix for this problem yet. I am going to wait a few more days to give the computer time to settle in. If it is still stalling, I am going to push like crazy to get the dealer to get an answer from Ford. A car that stalls in unacceptable.

If you are slowing to a stop in a straight line and it dies, you can just mash the brakes harder and still stop. If you are pulling into a parking space or turning a corner and it stalls, you are going to stop turning and hit whatever is in front of you. Will they fix that damage under warranty? I doubt it!

Cobra'03

Established Member
I believe I found the right combo for my car.

1) I did have the reflash - it did not seem to help at first, but.....

2) I experimented with positioning of the MAF sensor in my Amazon Racing air system. 12 o'clock (parallel to ground) did not help, neither did 3 o'clcok.

I then rotated it to the 9 o'clcok - that is, straight up and down positioned nearest to the passenger side fender ( all clock refs are made relative to being in front of the car and facing the airbox).

I have not had a stall in this setup, including some warm weather driving when it hit 70 degrees the other day!

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

djax

Established Member
I have been lucky and stopping distance has not been an issue yet. Most of the time it has happened right as I stop. Has anyone with an unresolved stalling issue been able to correct it with a chip?

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
FWIW, mine didn't stall once in 1600 miles....my MAF was positioned at 9 o'clock from the factory and remained that way after the DC install

SVTyballz

Established Member
Also FWIW......my 2 centz...... I am using the Amazon Racing CAI (adapter and filter) And I aligned the MAF sensor with the other sensor (not sure what it is.........the other sensor with a plug) There is an arrow on the MAF sensor and that is what I lined up the "other"sensor with.I haven't had a stall since, but then again my car is FAR from stock. Before I did any mods(around 5k miles) I only had the stall a handful of times. No more than 4-5 times that i can remember. hope this helps.

gary

Users who are viewing this thread